Can a Diffraction Pattern be Solved Without Complete Information?

In summary, the problem presented involves finding the slit width of a single slit illuminated by light with a given wavelength, producing a diffraction pattern with a first minimum at a specific distance from the central maximum. However, the problem cannot be solved with the given information and further clarification or additional information from the professor may be necessary.
David Truong

Homework Statement

A single slit illuminated by light of wavelength λ = 610 nm produces a diffraction pattern with its first minimum at 3.5 mm from the central maximum. (a) Find the slit width, and (b) For the same slit, what wavelength of light would produce a first minimum at θ = 4.0 degrees.

Homework Equations

D = slit width
m = minima order
L = distance from the slit to the wall

D sin θ = m λ
tan θ = sin θ = θ (small angle approximation)

The Attempt at a Solution

λ = 610 nm or 6.1 x 10^-7 m
m = 1 (first order minima)
x = 3.5 mm (which is the distance from the central maximum to the first minimum)

tan θ = x / L

D = m λ / sin θ

I would be able to solve this question if I was given either the distance from the slit to the wall (L) or the angle (θ), however, I am not given any of this, and as such, I am unsure how to proceed.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not possible to solve the problem with the information written above.
You should complain to the person who set the problem - make sure you have read all the information given as sometimes a vital bit is someplace else. Check with other people doing the same problem - it helps to have others also complaining.

Hello David,

Please update us if the professor says it was right and then shows you how to do it. I've been thinking about this question for a bit but have not come up with a solution for you. I agree with Simon, I do not believe it can be solved as presented. But I will think about it more if I have time later this week. Please keep us updated. In the mean time don't get too caught up on it. Move on to other problems. :D

Best Regards,

Caleb P.

What is single slit diffraction?

Single slit diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when light passes through a narrow slit. It causes the light to spread out and create a pattern of bright and dark fringes on a screen placed behind the slit.

What is the difference between single slit diffraction and double slit diffraction?

The main difference between single slit diffraction and double slit diffraction is the number of slits involved. In single slit diffraction, there is only one narrow slit, while in double slit diffraction, there are two parallel slits. This results in different interference patterns on the screen.

What factors affect the diffraction pattern in single slit diffraction?

The factors that affect the diffraction pattern in single slit diffraction include the wavelength of the light, the width of the slit, and the distance between the slit and the screen. These factors can alter the spacing and intensity of the fringes in the pattern.

How is single slit diffraction used in real-world applications?

Single slit diffraction is used in various applications, such as in spectrometers to analyze the light spectrum of a source, in CD and DVD players to read data from discs, and in microscopes to improve resolution by reducing the size of the light source.

What is the mathematical equation for calculating the position of the bright fringes in single slit diffraction?

The mathematical equation is given by:
y = (mλL)/d
Where y is the distance from the center of the pattern to the mth bright fringe, λ is the wavelength of light, L is the distance between the slit and the screen, and d is the width of the slit.