Single slit with minimum uncertainty

In summary, the width of the central diffraction maximum that is observed on the screen is about 5.80×10−2 mm.
HelpPlease27

Homework Statement

A horizontal beam of laser light of wavelength 474 nm passes through a narrow slit that has width 5.80×10−2 mm . The intensity of the light is measured on a vertical screen that is 2.40 m from the slit.
Use the result of part A to estimate the width of the central diffraction maximum that is observed on the screen.
(Part A: What is the minimum uncertainty in the vertical component of the momentum of each photon in the beam after the photon has passed through the slit? I got this part.)

Homework Equations

$$\theta = \arcsin(\lambda/a)$$
$$y = d * \tan\theta$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I just used the two equations above first to get theta and then to get y and times y by two to get the central diffraction maximum but that's wrong. I'm missing at which part I'm supposed to use the minimum uncertainty. Can anyone explain, please?

Physics news on Phys.org
It could be that you are expected to answer part (B) without using the optics single slit diffraction formulas. Instead, use the result of part (A). Treat the photon as traveling in the x direction before reaching the slit. As it passes through the slit, it picks up some y-component of momentum that you can estimate from your answer in part (A). (Careful with factors of 2, etc.) Use the x and y components of momentum of the photon as it leaves the slit to estimate the direction the photon heads out from the slit. Therefore, estimate where it will hit the screen.

I don't understand how I can use that to work out the central diffraction maximum. $$\Delta Py*\Delta y<h/4\pi$$ So is $$\Delta y$$ the central diffraction maximum? Where does the x component come into it?

HelpPlease27 said:
I don't understand how I can use that to work out the central diffraction maximum. $$\Delta Py*\Delta y<h/4\pi$$ So is $$\Delta y$$ the central diffraction maximum? Where does the x component come into it?
##\Delta y## is the uncertainty in the y position of the photon as it passes through the slit. You must have used this idea when working part (A).

##\Delta P_y## is the corresponding uncertainty in y-component of momentum that the photon acquires in order to satisfy the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. It's your answer to (A).

You are only doing an estimate. So, roughly speaking, you can say that the photons leave the slit with a y-component of momentum that could be anything between ##+\Delta P_y/2## and ##- \Delta P_y/2##. So, photons will arrive at the screen with a spread in the y direction which we assume corresponds roughly with the central maximum.

TSny said:
You are only doing an estimate. So, roughly speaking, you can say that the photons leave the slit with a y-component of momentum that could be anything between ##+\Delta P_y/2## and ##- \Delta P_y/2##.
I get this part but not the next part.
TSny said:
So, photons will arrive at the screen with a spread in the y direction which we assume corresponds roughly with the central maximum.
I still don't get what the spread in the y-direction corresponds to?

The direction the photon travels from the slit to the screen is the direction of the momentum vector of the photon. This direction is determined by the x and y components of the momentum: ##P_x## and ##P_y##.

Thanks for explaining it

OK. I think it would have been better if I had said that you can determine the direction θ from the magnitude of the momentum of the photon and the y-component of the momentum.

upload_2017-2-28_11-12-28.png

So then is $$\tan\theta * x = y$$ which is the central diffraction maximum? Or am I still missing something?

HelpPlease27 said:
So then is $$\tan\theta * x = y$$ which is the central diffraction maximum? Or am I still missing something?
This equation will give a rough estimate of the distance on the screen from the center of the central max to the first minimum. The width of the central maximum will be twice this distance.

Ok, I get it. Thank you

1. What is the single slit with minimum uncertainty experiment?

The single slit with minimum uncertainty experiment is a fundamental experiment in quantum mechanics that demonstrates the wave-like nature of particles, such as electrons. It involves passing a beam of particles through a narrow slit and observing the resulting diffraction pattern on a screen.

2. How does the single slit with minimum uncertainty experiment demonstrate the uncertainty principle?

The single slit with minimum uncertainty experiment shows that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be simultaneously known with absolute certainty. This is because the position of the particle is spread out over the entire width of the slit, while its momentum is determined by the diffraction pattern on the screen.

3. What is the significance of the minimum uncertainty in the single slit experiment?

The minimum uncertainty in the single slit experiment represents the smallest possible uncertainty in the position and momentum of a particle. This is a fundamental limit in quantum mechanics and has important implications for the behavior of particles at the microscopic level.

4. Can the single slit with minimum uncertainty experiment be performed with other types of particles?

Yes, the single slit with minimum uncertainty experiment has been successfully performed with various types of particles, including photons, electrons, and even large molecules. This demonstrates that the uncertainty principle applies to all particles, regardless of their size or mass.

5. Are there any practical applications of the single slit with minimum uncertainty experiment?

The single slit with minimum uncertainty experiment has practical applications in fields such as nanotechnology, where the behavior of particles at the nanoscale is important. It also has implications for the development of advanced technologies, such as quantum computing and encryption.