Single Variable function, local max/min is absolute max/min

In summary, if a function f(x) has a single critical point x=a in an interval I, and that point is a local maximum or minimum, it must also be the absolute maximum. This is because at a local maximum, the derivative of f(x) is decreasing to 0 as x approaches a from the left and increasing away from 0 as x deviates from a on the right. If there exists a point x_0 in I where f(x_0) > f(a), then the intermediate value theorem tells us there must be another point in I where f(x) = f(a). However, using Rolle's theorem, we can prove that this leads to a contradiction, as there must be a second critical point
calorimetry

Homework Statement

Consider a function of one variable, f(x), which is continuous on an interval I. If f has a single critical point, x = a, in I, then if that point is a local maximum (or minimum) it must also be an absolute maximum. Explain why this is.

Homework Equations

Intermediate Value Theorem
Rolle's Theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

Critical point x=a, in I, is a local maximum or minimum, thus f'(x)=0 at x=a.

The function f thus must either concave up (for a to be a local min) or concave down (for a to be a local max).

Since both cases are similar, let consider x=a is a local max.

For a local max, f'(x) is decreasing to 0 as x approaches a from the left and f'(x) is increasing negative away from 0 as x deviate away from a on the right.

Since there is only one single critical point at x=a, the concavity of the graph will not change. f(x) on the left of is an increasing function to f(a) and f(x) on the right of f is a decreasing function away from f(a). Thus x=a must also be the absolute maximum.

Is my reasoning correct? Or did I unconsciously assumed something that I shouldn't have?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you use the theorems you mentioned?

Assume there exists [tex]x_0[/tex] such that [tex]f(x_o)>f(a)[/tex].

What does the intermediate value theorem tell you?

If f(x_o) > f(a), then according to the intermediate value theorem, there should be another value in the interval I where f(x) = f(a).

Then applying Rolle's theorem, there must be a point between x and a such that the derivative of this point is 0, hence there must be a second critical point, which contradicts with single critical point assumption.

Thanks for the help, I didn't consider proving it using proof of contradiction. Even if I did, I would not know where to begin :d. Thanks again.

Last edited:

FAQ: Single Variable function, local max/min is absolute max/min

What is a single variable function?

A single variable function is a mathematical function with only one independent variable. This means that the output of the function is determined by the input of a single variable.

What is a local maximum/minimum?

A local maximum/minimum is a point on a graph where the function reaches its highest/lowest value in a specific interval. It is not necessarily the highest/lowest value of the entire function.

What is an absolute maximum/minimum?

An absolute maximum/minimum is the highest/lowest value of a function over its entire domain. It is also known as the global maximum/minimum.

How do you determine if a local max/min is also an absolute max/min?

To determine if a local max/min is also an absolute max/min, you need to check the values of the function at the endpoints of the interval. If the local max/min is higher/lower than all other values in the interval, then it is also the absolute max/min.

Why is finding local and absolute max/min important?

Finding local and absolute max/min is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function and identify critical points. These points can provide valuable information in various fields such as economics, physics, and engineering.

Back