Site Down? PF Access Troubles Today

• Thread starter robphy
  • Start date
In summary, the Physics Forums website experienced a long downtime, causing distress and withdrawal for its users. The administrators worked diligently to get the site back up and running, with some interruptions and issues along the way. Some users found humor in the situation, while others expressed frustration. Despite some ongoing problems, the community was grateful for the return of the beloved site.
robphy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Did anyone else have trouble getting to PF today?
Or was it just me?

Physics news on Phys.org
A thread with no reply's?
what happend?

Is it really back?

O my God! I didn't know how much pf meant to me until today :biggrin:

ROFLOLOMGWTFBBQ it's back

The whole world suffered along with you. :biggrin:

I got way too much work done today. They're going to expect this every day.:frown:

Shakes. Sweats. Passing quickly. Worst over but the night terrors.

Math Is Hard said:
I got way too much work done today. They're going to expect this every day.:frown:

I got no work done. I was sitting there hitting the refresh button.

Yay! It's back! I'm glad I was too busy to even check most of the day, but Evo and Zz were keeping me updated as to their misery at having to actually do work instead of check PF! :biggrin:

DaveC426913 said:
Shakes. Sweats. Passing quickly. Worst over but the night terrors.
I think nothing nearly so bad as what Greg and Warren were going through tonight! PF has definitely entered its rebellious adolescent years!

Congrats to Greg and chroot! They did the impossible and got PF back up!

YAY! :smile:

The site may go down a bit more tonight and tomorrow as some major things get taken care of again. I'll inform everyone with what happened once things are deemed stable.

Oh no! See, that's the problem right there. Stables are way too dusty for servers. You need a much cleaner spot for one of those. :biggrin:

Well, I'll be working away from my computer most of the day tomorrow anyway, so I was going to go through withdrawal anyway, so from my perspective, the site picked a good time to throw a tantrum.

Good luck with continuing to fix it. Don't be afraid to pull out the old belt and put it over your knee if it gives you too much trouble!

Okay, so it wasn't just me, then. I keep thinking y'all moved away and didn't tell me where you'd gone. Yeah, I had that same notion when I was a kid, too. :biggrin:

Your timing sucks, Greg. All day at work when I had nothing to do... no PF. Then, when I was busier than a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest, it was back. After work, it was gone again. :grumpy:
Get your circadian rhythm on a leash, will you?

Physics_wiz said:
I got no work done. I was sitting there hitting the refresh button.
:rofl: I gave up after an hour. :redface:

Greg Bernhardt said:
The site may go down a bit more tonight and tomorrow as some major things get taken care of again. I'll inform everyone with what happened once things are deemed stable.
Greg

While the system is down – anyone can see a comment you might care to share about the current PF system status by going to :

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PhysicsForums/ [Broken]

Even while system is down - IF you send message to:

PhysicsForums@yahoogroups.com

IN PLAIN TEXT! - (As in turn Rich Text OFF when writing email)

A heads up about system info while system is down posted outside the system could be useful.
(Limiting to Text Only helps prevent SPAM: for more control if you have a Yahoo ID become a Member of the site and I can transfer ownership to you, then incoming mail can be restricted to individual email IDs)

Last edited by a moderator:
Naughty admins!:devil:
Do you want to kill us? :grumpy:

Back up? (10 char)

edit... Hmm posted at 10:24, yet my clock says 11:03 :confused:

It seems the homepage (site root page) is down.
It returns "Fatal error: file_put_contents cannot write in file. in /includes/init.php(292) : eval()'d code on line 91". I've viewed it with FF1.5 and IE6.

Other pages look fine to me.

robphy said:
It seems the homepage (site root page) is down.
It returns "Fatal error: file_put_contents cannot write in file. in /includes/init.php(292) : eval()'d code on line 91". I've viewed it with FF1.5 and IE6.

Other pages look fine to me.
Same problem here!:frown:

I see LaTeX is not working right now either.

I was not able to access the site for the last two days... Some database error

Well, I hope that this is a welcome back then.

Good to see that everything is still around. I gather that Greg and Warren must have had nightmares to get things restored.

Last edited:
Andre said:
Well, I hope that this is a welcome back then.

Good to see that everything is still around. I gather that Greg and Warren must have had nightmares to get things restored.

Ya, they might be catching on their sleep right now.. :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Well, I couldn't sleep, so I was happy to see PF back up. :smile:

This has been a long downtime, and I missed my PF ssssssooooooo much... :cry:

OK, not to be picky, but the PF clock is a few hours behind.

.. and yes, I've checked my profile to make sure I'm in the right time zone.

Zz.

Actually, it turns out that Greg picked a bad weekend to go on a camping trip. :frown: Thank goodness for cell phones! Evo called him and found out he had no idea the site was down (poor guy has an email box FULL of all the alert notices :rofl:), and was able to get instructions of who to contact to get it back up (unless of course Warren strolled in and noticed something was amiss and was working on it at the same time).

After the downtime earlier in the week, we all were sitting here thinking it was part of the same problem that he warned us it would probably be down another time or two while he worked on it.

ZapperZ said:
OK, not to be picky, but the PF clock is a few hours behind.

.. and yes, I've checked my profile to make sure I'm in the right time zone.

Zz.
It's about an hour behind for me, so maybe the time zone settings aren't working at all and everyone sees the same time.

Moonbear said:
Evo called him and found out he had no idea the site was down . . . .
Multiple Cheers for Evo!

What the [tex]\mbox{four-letter word}[/tex] is up with the LaTeX?

Greg won't be back unil tonight, then he can see what else needs to be fixed.

Ok, we all need to chip in and get more contributors for PF! I had to contact the hosting service and get them to fix the server, hiring "remote hands" to do the work is not cheap guys. Greg pays a lot of money to keep PF going and if we give a little more, we can make PF more reliable.

I know not everyone can contribute, but we have a 13 year old that is a contributor out of his "earnings" from part time jobs, so if he can do it, I know most of you others can.

Isn't it worth $2 a month to keep PF going?

OK, can I reply now without it crashing?

<h2>1. What is causing the site to be down?</h2><p>The site may be down due to a variety of reasons such as server maintenance, technical issues, or high traffic volume. It is best to check with the website's administrators for specific details.</p><h2>2. How long will the site be down?</h2><p>The duration of the site being down can vary depending on the cause. It is recommended to check with the website's administrators for an estimated time of when the site will be back up and running.</p><h2>3. Can I still access the site through a different device or network?</h2><p>It is possible that the issue may only be affecting a specific device or network. You can try accessing the site through a different device or network to see if it is accessible.</p><h2>4. Is there anything I can do to fix the site access issue?</h2><p>If the site is down due to technical issues, there may not be anything you can do to fix it. However, you can try clearing your browser's cache and cookies or restarting your device to see if that resolves the issue.</p><h2>5. How can I stay updated on the site's status?</h2><p>You can check the website's social media pages or contact their customer support for updates on the site's status. They may also have a designated page or forum for site status updates.</p>

1. What is causing the site to be down?

The site may be down due to a variety of reasons such as server maintenance, technical issues, or high traffic volume. It is best to check with the website's administrators for specific details.

2. How long will the site be down?

The duration of the site being down can vary depending on the cause. It is recommended to check with the website's administrators for an estimated time of when the site will be back up and running.

3. Can I still access the site through a different device or network?

It is possible that the issue may only be affecting a specific device or network. You can try accessing the site through a different device or network to see if it is accessible.

4. Is there anything I can do to fix the site access issue?

If the site is down due to technical issues, there may not be anything you can do to fix it. However, you can try clearing your browser's cache and cookies or restarting your device to see if that resolves the issue.

5. How can I stay updated on the site's status?

You can check the website's social media pages or contact their customer support for updates on the site's status. They may also have a designated page or forum for site status updates.