Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Skype Problem: Sorry, we couldn't connect to Skype

1. May 15, 2016 #1

Rio Larsen

Gold Member

The Skype application is a useful one. It allows you to connect to other people with Skype all around the world for free.

Now that we have the formalities aside, allow me to state the problem I am having. Since I have two Skype accounts--one for my friends on games, the other for a personal one--I wanted to sign out of my gaming Skype account and check my personal Skype. To my horror, it wouldn't allow me to connect to Skype because it erroneously thinks I'm not connected to the Internet. Here is a pertinent screenshot that came when launching Skype:

https://gyazo.com/05c4050fa63f615d24a14d4317aaa28c

It's also evident that Skype knows I'm on the Internet due to the fact that it says "I'm already online" when I click on "Skype WiFi." Screenshot:

https://gyazo.com/57eec6afb80d0f3ffdff8386a4d01c5b

I have tried to fix the problem, but for now I have been flummoxed by the conundrum I find myself in. I have tried clicking the "retry" button repeatedly, I have tried reinstalling Skype, and I have also went into my Internet options and enabled all SSL and TLS versions. None of these have yielded useful results. Is there something I can do about this? I do not wish to keep using my phone's Skype app as I mostly use cell data for that.

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2016 #2
    A possibility is that the skype servers take a while to delete your device IP from a list of connected users.
    Have you tried letting a couple of minutes pass after logging out of the first account then attempting to log in to the second account.

4. May 15, 2016 #3
    Have you tried shutting the program down, after signing off from your gaming account, then relaunching Skype and attempt to log into your personal account?

Also, I notice the Skype WiFi mentions Skype WiFi lets you go online at public hot spots around the world. Presumably you are connected to a secure wireless network (or even Ethernet) like at home, and not on an unsecured connection.

5. May 15, 2016 #4

Rio Larsen

Gold Member

Yes, I have. Unfortunately, it's not working.

6. May 15, 2016 #5

Rio Larsen

Gold Member

Yes, I have restarted the Skype application (not just clicked the red "X" since that only minimizes it, I right-clicked it and hit "quit Skype"). As for my network connection, I am not connected to a connection that requires a password/is secured by WEP--however, you can't actually use the WiFi until the network administrator adds your IP to it.

7. May 15, 2016 #6
    I don't know if you're at home with this Skype issue? If you are, I am surprised at the set up someone external has created.

With regards to your IP and network admin, are you able to connect to the WiFi; its just that you cannot use the Internet until details of your device are inputted?

8. May 16, 2016 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Why not use free worldwide calls and video conferencing with something like yahoo IM? And unlike Skype, you do not have to agree to allow them to use your computer to run other people's calls through without your knowledge.

9. May 16, 2016 #8

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Or Google Hangout?

10. May 17, 2016 #9

Rio Larsen

Gold Member

Yes, I am at home. You're also correct in your second question; a person's device details must be inputted before you can use the Internet albeit they can still "connect" to see payment and contact details of the network admin.

11. May 18, 2016 #10

Rio Larsen

Gold Member

All is good now, my Skype problems have been fixed--albeit not miraculously, the network administrator fixed it.

I am okay with this thread being locked as it serves no purpose.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted