Skype Problem: Sorry, we couldn't connect to Skype

In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with accessing Skype due to an error that thinks the user is not connected to the internet. The user has tried various solutions but none have worked. They are also connected to a network that requires the network administrator to add their IP before they can use the internet. Suggestions are made to try waiting a few minutes before logging into the second account and using alternative video conferencing options. Ultimately, the issue is resolved by the network administrator.
  • #1

RooksAndBooks

Gold Member
27
50
The Skype application is a useful one. It allows you to connect to other people with Skype all around the world for free.

Now that we have the formalities aside, allow me to state the problem I am having. Since I have two Skype accounts--one for my friends on games, the other for a personal one--I wanted to sign out of my gaming Skype account and check my personal Skype. To my horror, it wouldn't allow me to connect to Skype because it erroneously thinks I'm not connected to the Internet. Here is a pertinent screenshot that came when launching Skype:

https://gyazo.com/05c4050fa63f615d24a14d4317aaa28c

It's also evident that Skype knows I'm on the Internet due to the fact that it says "I'm already online" when I click on "Skype WiFi." Screenshot:

https://gyazo.com/57eec6afb80d0f3ffdff8386a4d01c5b

I have tried to fix the problem, but for now I have been flummoxed by the conundrum I find myself in. I have tried clicking the "retry" button repeatedly, I have tried reinstalling Skype, and I have also went into my Internet options and enabled all SSL and TLS versions. None of these have yielded useful results. Is there something I can do about this? I do not wish to keep using my phone's Skype app as I mostly use cell data for that.
 
Computer science news on Phys.org
  • #2
A possibility is that the skype servers take a while to delete your device IP from a list of connected users.
Have you tried letting a couple of minutes pass after logging out of the first account then attempting to log into the second account.
 
  • #3
Have you tried shutting the program down, after signing off from your gaming account, then relaunching Skype and attempt to log into your personal account?

Also, I notice the Skype WiFi mentions Skype WiFi let's you go online at public hot spots around the world. Presumably you are connected to a secure wireless network (or even Ethernet) like at home, and not on an unsecured connection.
 
  • #4
rootone said:
A possibility is that the skype servers take a while to delete your device IP from a list of connected users.
Have you tried letting a couple of minutes pass after logging out of the first account then attempting to log into the second account.

Yes, I have. Unfortunately, it's not working.
 
  • #5
StevieTNZ said:
Have you tried shutting the program down, after signing off from your gaming account, then relaunching Skype and attempt to log into your personal account?

Also, I notice the Skype WiFi mentions Skype WiFi let's you go online at public hot spots around the world. Presumably you are connected to a secure wireless network (or even Ethernet) like at home, and not on an unsecured connection.

Yes, I have restarted the Skype application (not just clicked the red "X" since that only minimizes it, I right-clicked it and hit "quit Skype"). As for my network connection, I am not connected to a connection that requires a password/is secured by WEP--however, you can't actually use the WiFi until the network administrator adds your IP to it.
 
  • #6
Rio Larsen said:
Yes, I have restarted the Skype application (not just clicked the red "X" since that only minimizes it, I right-clicked it and hit "quit Skype"). As for my network connection, I am not connected to a connection that requires a password/is secured by WEP--however, you can't actually use the WiFi until the network administrator adds your IP to it.
I don't know if you're at home with this Skype issue? If you are, I am surprised at the set up someone external has created.

With regards to your IP and network admin, are you able to connect to the WiFi; its just that you cannot use the Internet until details of your device are inputted?
 
  • #7
Why not use free worldwide calls and video conferencing with something like yahoo IM? And unlike Skype, you do not have to agree to allow them to use your computer to run other people's calls through without your knowledge.
 
  • Like
Likes 1oldman2 and ProfuselyQuarky
  • #8
Evo said:
Why not use free worldwide calls and video conferencing with something like yahoo IM? And unlike Skype, you do not have to agree to allow them to use your computer to run other people's calls through without your knowledge.
Or Google Hangout?
 
  • Like
Likes 1oldman2
  • #9
StevieTNZ said:
I don't know if you're at home with this Skype issue? If you are, I am surprised at the set up someone external has created.

With regards to your IP and network admin, are you able to connect to the WiFi; its just that you cannot use the Internet until details of your device are inputted?

Yes, I am at home. You're also correct in your second question; a person's device details must be inputted before you can use the Internet albeit they can still "connect" to see payment and contact details of the network admin.
 
  • #10
All is good now, my Skype problems have been fixed--albeit not miraculously, the network administrator fixed it.

I am okay with this thread being locked as it serves no purpose.
 

1. Why am I receiving the error message "Sorry, we couldn't connect to Skype"?

There could be several reasons for this error message. It could be due to a poor internet connection, incorrect login credentials, or a problem with the Skype server. It is also possible that your device's firewall settings are blocking Skype from connecting.

2. How can I fix the "Sorry, we couldn't connect to Skype" error?

First, check your internet connection and make sure it is stable. If your connection is fine, try restarting the Skype app or your device. If the error persists, check your login credentials and make sure they are correct. You can also try clearing your device's cache or updating the Skype app. If none of these solutions work, the issue may be on Skype's end, and you may need to wait for them to resolve it.

3. Can a virus or malware cause the "Sorry, we couldn't connect to Skype" error?

While it is possible for a virus or malware to interfere with Skype's connection, it is unlikely to be the sole cause of the error. It is always a good idea to regularly scan your device for viruses and malware, but the issue is more likely related to your internet connection or device settings.

4. Does the "Sorry, we couldn't connect to Skype" error only happen on certain devices?

No, this error can occur on any device that has the Skype app installed. It can happen on computers, laptops, smartphones, and tablets. The cause of the error is usually not related to the device itself, but rather external factors such as internet connection or server issues.

5. Is there a way to prevent the "Sorry, we couldn't connect to Skype" error from happening?

Unfortunately, there is no guaranteed way to prevent this error from occurring. However, you can reduce the chances of encountering it by ensuring a stable internet connection, regularly updating the Skype app, and checking your login credentials. It is also a good idea to keep your device's firewall settings updated and clear the app's cache regularly.

Suggested for: Skype Problem: Sorry, we couldn't connect to Skype

Back
Top