Slope: The Derivative of a Function at a Point

In summary, we are calculating the slope of the function f(x) = x^3 /3 - 2x at x = 2. To do this, we first simplify the expression for f(2+h) and then subtract f(2). After simplifying, we can evaluate the difference quotient and cancel out h in the denominator to find the slope. In this case, we made a mistake in the simplification process and need to blend in the - (4 + 2h) term.
morrowcosom

Homework Statement

We are calculating the slope of the function f(x) = x^3 /3 - 2x at x = 2.
For the function f(x) = x^3 /3 - 2x, we now know:

f(2) = -4/3
f(2+h) = (8 + 12h + 6h^2 + h^3)/3 - (4 + 2h)
Now evaluate the difference quotient, simplifying as much as possible and cancelling h in the denominator:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
{f(2+h) - f(2)}/h=
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to simplify the f(2+h) equation by turning it into
{(4+10h+6h^2+h^3)/3 +4/3}/h (I notice here that the 4/3's seem to have no opposite signs :()
{(10h+6h^2+h^3)/3}/h
{h(10+6h+h^2)/3}/h
=(10+6h+h^2)/3

What did I do wrong? I think I screwed up on the blending in the - (4 + 2h)

Physics news on Phys.org
morrowcosom said:

Homework Statement

We are calculating the slope of the function f(x) = x^3 /3 - 2x at x = 2.
For the function f(x) = x^3 /3 - 2x, we now know:

f(2) = -4/3
f(2+h) = (8 + 12h + 6h^2 + h^3)/3 - (4 + 2h)
Simplify the above to 8/3 + 4h + 2h^2 + (1/3)h^3 - 4 - 2h = -4/3 + 2h + 2h^2 + (1/3)h^3
Then subtract f(2).
morrowcosom said:
Now evaluate the difference quotient, simplifying as much as possible and cancelling h in the denominator:
{f(2+h) - f(2)}/h=

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to simplify the f(2+h) equation by turning it into
{(4+10h+6h^2+h^3)/3 +4/3}/h (I notice here that the 4/3's seem to have no opposite signs :()
{(10h+6h^2+h^3)/3}/h
{h(10+6h+h^2)/3}/h
=(10+6h+h^2)/3

What did I do wrong? I think I screwed up on the blending in the - (4 + 2h)

Related to Slope: The Derivative of a Function at a Point

What is slope?

Slope is a measure of how steep a line or curve is. It is the ratio of the vertical change (rise) to the horizontal change (run) between two points on a line or curve.

How is slope calculated?

The slope of a line can be calculated by dividing the change in the y-coordinates (rise) by the change in the x-coordinates (run) between two points on the line. For a curve, the slope at a specific point is found by finding the slope of the tangent line at that point.

What is the derivative of a function at a point?

The derivative of a function at a point is the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point. It represents the instantaneous rate of change of the function at that point.

What is the relationship between slope and the derivative of a function?

The derivative of a function at a point is the same as the slope of the function at that point. In other words, the derivative is a way to calculate the slope of a function at any given point.

Why is the derivative important?

The derivative is important because it allows us to analyze the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is used in many fields of science and mathematics, such as physics, economics, and engineering, to understand and solve real-world problems.