Small Conceptual Relativistic Energy Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of relative velocity and total energy in different frames. The speaker is unsure of which frame has a bigger total energy and considers the equations to be complex. They initially assume it is bigger in the rest frame, but are told it is actually bigger in the moving frame.
mmmboh
Hi, I have an assignment due in the morning, and it is complete, there is just one tiny thing I am unsure of: In a rest frame, a mass m moves west at speed v, and another mass also m moves east at speed v. Now consider the setup as viewed by an observer going west at speed u.

I had to find the total energy in each of these frames, and I did, and now I have to say in which frame the total energy is bigger...that's the problem, the equations are not simple and I can't tell by looking at them!
Conceptually I would probably assume it is bigger in the rest frame, because the relative velocity of the two masses in the rest frame is 2v, and I think this relative velocity is smaller in the moving frame, because that's how velocity addition works, or at least in this case, where they are moving in the same direction with respect to u. But someone else told me it is bigger in the moving frame.

Who is right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, it appears it is bigger in the moving frame.

1. What is conceptual relativistic energy?

Conceptual relativistic energy is a scientific concept that relates to the theory of relativity, which was developed by Albert Einstein. It refers to the idea that energy and mass are not fixed or absolute quantities, but are relative to the observer's point of view. This means that an object's energy and mass can change depending on its speed and the observer's frame of reference.

2. How is conceptual relativistic energy different from traditional energy?

Traditional energy, as described by Isaac Newton, is a fixed and absolute quantity that does not change with an observer's frame of reference. However, conceptual relativistic energy takes into account the effects of special relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all inertial observers. This means that energy and mass are not fixed, but are relative to the observer's frame of reference.

3. What is the formula for calculating conceptual relativistic energy?

The formula for calculating conceptual relativistic energy is E = mc2, where E represents energy, m represents mass, and c represents the speed of light in a vacuum. This formula is derived from Einstein's famous equation, which states that energy and mass are equivalent and can be converted into each other.

4. How does conceptual relativistic energy affect our understanding of the universe?

Conceptual relativistic energy has had a significant impact on our understanding of the universe, particularly in the field of astrophysics. It has helped scientists explain the behavior of objects at high speeds, such as stars and galaxies, and has led to the discovery of new phenomena, such as black holes and gravitational waves. It has also played a crucial role in the development of technologies, such as GPS systems, which rely on the principles of relativity to function accurately.

5. Can conceptual relativistic energy be observed or measured?

Yes, conceptual relativistic energy can be observed and measured through various experiments and observations. For example, the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN has provided evidence for the existence of particles with high relativistic energies. Additionally, the effects of relativity on time dilation and length contraction have been observed and measured in various experiments, confirming the validity of the concept of conceptual relativistic energy.