Calculating Horsepower & Torque: A Small Dynamometer Guide

• Thread starter linguist
  • Start date
In summary, if you have a known constant load in pounds and want to calculate the torque generated by the driving engine, you would use the following equation: Torque = WK^2 * ΔN / 308 * t.
linguist
Hi everybody, just wondering if you could help me with calculating horsepower & Torque.

If I have a known "constant load" in ft/lbs & the engine accelerates it from a starting rpm to a peak rpm figure in X time, how can I calculate the Horsepower & Torque.

Not really sure where to start?

Can I assume that my "Constant Load" is the same as the moment of inertia of a flywheel & use the appropriate calculations for mine?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
linguist said:
Hi everybody, just wondering if you could help me with calculating horsepower & Torque.

If I have a known "constant load" in ft/lbs & the engine accelerates it from a starting rpm to a peak rpm figure in X time, how can I calculate the Horsepower & Torque.

Not really sure where to start?

Can I assume that my "Constant Load" is the same as the moment of inertia of a flywheel & use the appropriate calculations for mine?

Thanks

Torque is measured in foot * pounds, not foot/pounds. Power is work/time, which is force*distance/time.

This article may be helpful (the equations are part-way down the article), but if you don't have much background in physics, please ask more questions here so we can help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque

berkeman,
Thanks very much for the reply, your correct I am not experienced in physics but I will see how I go with the link you have provided as I need to learn more about this for my small dyno.

Thanks again

Not sure if I have this correct.

Ok, I have a "constant load" of say 5 ft-lb & want to acellerate this from a starting rpm to the final rpm figure, find the Torque of the driving engine.

T = WK^2 * ΔN / 308 * t

T= Acelleration torque ft-lb

WK^2 = Total system inertia includes my (constant load value + the moment of Inertia of the Load Cell shaft, Couplings etc.

ΔN = The change in speed (rpm)

t = Time to acellerate total system load (sec)

As mentioned I'm not sure if this is the correct method & I am not sure yet how to get the Hp figure from this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Anyone?

1. What is a small dynamometer?

A small dynamometer is a device used to measure force, torque, or power. It typically consists of a fixed base and a moveable part, such as a lever or a pulley, that can be attached to an object or a machine to measure the forces exerted on it.

2. How does a small dynamometer work?

A small dynamometer works by converting mechanical energy into an electrical signal. This is done through the use of strain gauges, which change in resistance when a force is applied, and then the signal is amplified and displayed on a scale or computer.

3. What are some common uses for a small dynamometer?

Small dynamometers are commonly used in various industries, such as automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing, to measure the performance and efficiency of machines and engines. They are also used in research and development to test the strength and durability of materials.

4. How accurate are small dynamometers?

The accuracy of a small dynamometer depends on various factors, including the quality of the device, the calibration process, and the type of force being measured. Generally, high-quality dynamometers can have an accuracy of up to 0.1% or better.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when using a small dynamometer?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety precautions when using a small dynamometer. This includes wearing appropriate protective gear, ensuring the device is properly calibrated, and following the manufacturer's instructions for use. It is also important to avoid applying excessive force, as this can damage the dynamometer or cause injury.