1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Small Dynomometer Help

1. Oct 23, 2011 #1
    Hi everybody, just wondering if you could help me with calculating horsepower & Torque.

If I have a known "constant load" in ft/lbs & the engine accelerates it from a starting rpm to a peak rpm figure in X time, how can I calculate the Horsepower & Torque.

Not really sure where to start?

Can I assume that my "Constant Load" is the same as the moment of inertia of a flywheel & use the appropriate calculations for mine?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Torque is measured in foot * pounds, not foot/pounds. Power is work/time, which is force*distance/time.

This article may be helpful (the equations are part-way down the article), but if you don't have much background in physics, please ask more questions here so we can help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque

4. Oct 24, 2011 #3
    berkeman,
    Thanks very much for the reply, your correct I am not experienced in physics but I will see how I go with the link you have provided as I need to learn more about this for my small dyno.

Thanks again

5. Oct 28, 2011 #4
    Not sure if I have this correct.

Ok, I have a "constant load" of say 5 ft-lb & want to acellerate this from a starting rpm to the final rpm figure, find the Torque of the driving engine.

T = WK^2 * ΔN / 308 * t

T= Acelleration torque ft-lb

WK^2 = Total system inertia includes my (constant load value + the moment of Inertia of the Load Cell shaft, Couplings etc.

ΔN = The change in speed (rpm)

t = Time to acellerate total system load (sec)

As mentioned i'm not sure if this is the correct method & I am not sure yet how to get the Hp figure from this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

6. Oct 30, 2011 #5
    Anyone?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook