Small Dynomometer Help

• Thread starter linguist
  • Start date
Hi everybody, just wondering if you could help me with calculating horsepower & Torque.

If I have a known "constant load" in ft/lbs & the engine accelerates it from a starting rpm to a peak rpm figure in X time, how can I calculate the Horsepower & Torque.

Not really sure where to start?

Can I assume that my "Constant Load" is the same as the moment of inertia of a flywheel & use the appropriate calculations for mine?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
Hi everybody, just wondering if you could help me with calculating horsepower & Torque.

If I have a known "constant load" in ft/lbs & the engine accelerates it from a starting rpm to a peak rpm figure in X time, how can I calculate the Horsepower & Torque.

Not really sure where to start?

Can I assume that my "Constant Load" is the same as the moment of inertia of a flywheel & use the appropriate calculations for mine?

Thanks

Torque is measured in foot * pounds, not foot/pounds. Power is work/time, which is force*distance/time.

This article may be helpful (the equations are part-way down the article), but if you don't have much background in physics, please ask more questions here so we can help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque

berkeman,
Thanks very much for the reply, your correct I am not experienced in physics but I will see how I go with the link you have provided as I need to learn more about this for my small dyno.

Thanks again

Not sure if I have this correct.

Ok, I have a "constant load" of say 5 ft-lb & want to acellerate this from a starting rpm to the final rpm figure, find the Torque of the driving engine.

T = WK^2 * ΔN / 308 * t

T= Acelleration torque ft-lb

WK^2 = Total system inertia includes my (constant load value + the moment of Inertia of the Load Cell shaft, Couplings etc.

ΔN = The change in speed (rpm)

t = Time to acellerate total system load (sec)

As mentioned i'm not sure if this is the correct method & I am not sure yet how to get the Hp figure from this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Anyone?