Small Electromagnet for High School Show Effect

In summary, the speaker is a high school music teacher looking for a way to make a bird fall off a perch on a cuckoo clock on cue during a show. They are considering using a small electromagnet to hold the bird in place and then cutting the power to make it fall. They are also concerned about using a battery for an extended period of time. Another suggestion is to use a permanent magnet on the bird and an electromagnet to push it off. Alternatively, a solenoid could be used to push the bird off.
music123
Hi,
I am new to this forum and not a physicist by any means. I am a high school music teacher working on a special effect for our upcoming show. Long story short, I need the bird to fall off of its perch on a cuckoo clock, and it needs to happen on cue (one of the characters shoots the bird when it "cuckoo's".

My thought is to put a very small (it only needs to hold the bird) electromagnet on the perch behind the bird (with the bird detached from the rest of the clock and a piece of metal attached) and when the bird comes out and makes noise to cut the power on the cue of the gun shot and as a result have the bird fall off.

I am looking to purchase a small electromagnet, and by small i mean 1/4" diameter and no more than an inch long. I don't mind making one (although I am limited to doing it with a nail and a battery. My concern with the battery is leaving it on for an extended period of time (almost 2 hours with the clock on stage) before the bird needs to drop. Will the battery overheat and explode on me?

If anyone needs more info, please ask. Not being a physics person, I don't know how much info you need to be able to answer this.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think having the magnet on permanently might cause you problems and will certainly waste your batteries. Do it the other way round. Put a small permanent magnet on the bird and then use an electromagnet to "push" that when pulsed.
Alternatively you could try and find a solenoid (as used on pinball machines). Look for one that has a rod that comes out of the "back end" when the coil pulls in and use that to push the bird off.

Last edited:

Related to Small Electromagnet for High School Show Effect

1. What is a "Small Electromagnet for High School Show Effect"?

A "Small Electromagnet for High School Show Effect" is a small device that uses electricity to create a magnetic field. It is typically used in high school science fairs or demonstrations to show the effects of electromagnetism.

2. How does a small electromagnet work?

A small electromagnet works by using electricity to create a magnetic field. This is done by passing an electric current through a wire wrapped around a ferromagnetic core, such as iron. The flow of electricity creates a magnetic field around the core, and the strength of the field can be controlled by adjusting the amount of current.

3. What materials are needed to make a small electromagnet for a high school show effect?

To make a small electromagnet for a high school show effect, you will need a battery or power source, a wire, a ferromagnetic core (such as a nail or bolt), and some insulating material (such as tape or plastic). You may also want to have some paper clips or other small magnetic objects to demonstrate the magnet's strength.

4. What can a small electromagnet be used for in a high school show?

A small electromagnet can be used for a variety of demonstrations in a high school show. Some examples include picking up small magnetic objects, showing the magnetic field lines using iron filings, or creating a simple motor by spinning a coil of wire in the magnetic field.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when using a small electromagnet for a high school show effect?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to keep in mind when using a small electromagnet for a high school show effect. It is important to use a power source with low voltage and current to prevent electrical shocks. Also, be careful not to overheat the wire by using too much current. And always keep the magnet away from any electronic devices, such as computers or cell phones, as it may interfere with their functioning.