Small towns

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
russ_watters
Mentor
I grew up in the Los Angeles area and will take a small town any day of the week. No matter where you go, there is always some brand of bull**** to deal with. We never left the small town in Oregon. Compared to Los Angeles, this is paradise.
Crime is reason enough for me to never want to live in most big cities. I like living 35 minutes from Phildadelphia: it is close enough that I can go hang out downtown for an evening and not have to stay there.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Crime is reason enough for me to never want to live in most big cities. I like living 35 minutes from Phildadelphia: it is close enough that I can go hang out downtown for an evening and not have to stay there.
When Tsu and I first got together, we lived in what had been a nice area of L.A. that had gone bad very quickly. Gun fights were fairly common, but one night we had to lay on the floor because a SWAT team was shooting it out with drug dealers in the apartments across the street. Fully automatic weapons were being used. Also, when Tsu got called into the hospital on an emergency call, I would sit at the window with my 12 gauge just to be sure that she got to her car safely.

We didn't lock our doors here for seventeen years. Only now do I feel that we should out of principle. It's not like we really need to.

As an aside, I hate to even think of the number of hours of my life that I spend sitting in traffic jams. I knew that if I didn't get out of there, I would be dead from a heart attack before age 40.

Exactly!

Everyone is so scared to leave home or the home city for some reason.
That's a false generalization you have there.

I also live about 35 minutes from Philadelphia and it is quite nice, I agree fully. Not to probe or sound stalkerish :devil: or anything Russ but whereabouts do you live? I'm about 35 minutes northwest of philly.

I just had a 4th grade kid call me "sponge gums" that never happened in the big city.

I just had a 4th grade kid call me "sponge gums" that never happened in the big city.
Yeah, around here they'll call you a "f****n' f****t".