Smallest positive irrational number

In summary, to prove that there is no smallest positive irrational number, one can use a proof by contradiction and assume that there is a smallest positive irrational number. Then, by producing another irrational number that is smaller, it can be shown that the assumption is false. This can be done by dividing an arbitrary irrational number by 2, which will always result in a smaller irrational number. Therefore, there is no smallest positive irrational number.
kolley

Homework Statement

Prove that there is no smallest positive irrational number

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to do this, please help walk me through it.

Physics news on Phys.org
kolley said:

Homework Statement

Prove that there is no smallest positive irrational number

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to do this, please help walk me through it.
Do you know how to do a proof by contradiction? If so, assume that there is a smallest positive irrational number, and then produce another one that's even smaller.

I thought the way to do it was by contradiction. But I'm confused as to how to produce a generalized irrational number, and then like you say, get one smaller than that.

Label your arbitrary irrational number a. Starting with a, can you think of a way to get a number smaller than a? There may be many ways to do this. Once you have a candidate idea in mind, try to prove that the number you get is always irrational.

You could try using the density of rationals in R

If r is a positive irrational number, then r/2 is a smaller positive irrational number.

What is the smallest positive irrational number?

The smallest positive irrational number is known as the golden ratio, which is approximately equal to 1.6180339887...

What is the significance of the smallest positive irrational number?

The golden ratio has been studied and admired for centuries due to its unique properties and appearance in nature and art. It is also an important mathematical constant in various fields, such as geometry, architecture, and even music.

How is the smallest positive irrational number calculated?

The golden ratio can be calculated using various methods, such as the continued fraction expansion or the ratio of consecutive Fibonacci numbers. It can also be approximated using numerical methods, such as the golden section search.

Can the smallest positive irrational number be expressed as a fraction?

No, the golden ratio is an irrational number, meaning it cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. It is a non-repeating, non-terminating decimal, making it impossible to write as a fraction.

In what real-world applications is the smallest positive irrational number used?

The golden ratio has been used in various fields, such as art and design to create aesthetically pleasing compositions, in architecture to design structures with balanced proportions, and in finance and economics to analyze market trends and patterns.