Smallest possible tension and its angle

In summary: Near the angle of maximum tension (-10 degrees), tension varies rapidly with change in angle.In summary, to determine the value of Beta for which the tension in cable B is as small as possible, it is necessary to find the angle that results in the maximum torque about the point of tension in A. This can be achieved by setting the derivative of the equation for tension equal to zero. The corresponding tension can then be calculated using the given equations and values. However, if the angle of minimum tension is near the angle of maximum tension, the variation of tension with change in angle will be slow, and vice versa.
Malki92

Homework Statement

determine the value of Beta for which the tension in cable B is as small as possible, then find the corresponding tension. Given Alpha = 5 degrees and the weight of the object is 12kN
This is an image of it http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/801/unledgsn.png/

Homework Equations

Fy=0 Fx=0 (at equilibrium)

The Attempt at a Solution

Fx= -TAsin5 + TBcos(Beta)
Fy=TAcos5 - TBsin(Beta) - 12

from Fx i get TA = (TBcos(Beta))/Sin5
and i plug it into Fy to get 12=TB(11.4cos(Beta)-sin(Beta))

but this doesn't answer my first question of what is the angle, only helps with part 2 of the question..

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you learned about torque? If so measure the torque about some point along the arrow labeled tension in A, say the arrow head of tension A. In equilibrium the sum of the torques will be zero. Then it is clear what the angle beta should be so as to maximize the torque about that point due to the tension in B and thereby minimizing the tension in B.

thanks for the reply, but well we havn't studied torque yet so we are supposed to use another way that depends on components of force vectors, we are currently studying statics in particles. so is there a way that is similar the solution I am using?

Let us assume what you wrote is correct,

12=TB(11.4cos(Beta)-sin(Beta))

To make TB minimum we want (11.4cos(Beta)-sin(Beta)) to be maximum. So set

d (11.4cos(Beta)-sin(Beta)) / d beta equal 0 ?

i thought so too but then if I use -5 for beta ud get lower tension.. and for -10 you'd get about the same amount as of -5.

Near the angle of minimum tension (-5 degrees), tension varies slowly with change in angle.

1. What is smallest possible tension?

The smallest possible tension is the minimum amount of force or pull that can be applied to an object without causing it to move or deform.

2. How is the smallest possible tension calculated?

The smallest possible tension is calculated by determining the minimum amount of force required to keep an object in equilibrium, meaning that all forces acting on the object are balanced.

3. What factors influence the smallest possible tension?

The smallest possible tension is influenced by several factors including the weight of the object, the nature of the surface it is resting on, and any external forces acting on the object.

4. What is the angle of the smallest possible tension?

The angle of the smallest possible tension is the direction in which the minimum amount of force needs to be applied to keep an object in equilibrium. It can vary depending on the shape and orientation of the object.

5. Why is understanding smallest possible tension important in science?

Understanding the smallest possible tension is important in science because it allows us to determine the stability of structures and predict how forces will affect them. It is also essential in engineering and design to ensure the safety and functionality of various objects and systems.