What is the angle of incidence on a cubic zirconia crystal submerged in oil?

In summary, a light ray enters a cubic zirconia crystal at an angle of 25 degrees with respect to the normal. Using the equation n1 sin(θ1) = n2 sin(θ2), where n1 is the index of refraction of oil and n2 is the index of refraction of zirconia, it can be determined that the angle of incidence on the crystal is 39 degrees instead of the incorrect answer of 35 degrees.
aliciadombros
A costume jewelry pendant made of cubic zirconia is submerged in oil. A light ray enters one face of the zirconia crystal, then travels at an angle of 25 degrees with respect to the normal. What was the ray's angle of incidence on the crystal?

Relevant equations:

n1 sin(θ1) = n2 sin(θ2)

n1 sin(θ1) = n2 sin(θ2)
2.18 sin(θ1) = 1.46 sin(65)
θ1=37 degrees but the real answer is 35.

Any help to where I went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi aliciadombros and welcome to PF. What is medium 1 and what is medium 2? It seems that if you are looking for the angle on the crystal and the unknown angle is θ1, then medium 1 must be oil and medium 2 must be zirconia. You used 2.18 for n1. Is the index of refraction for oil 2.18?

I must've flipped them around. The index of refraction for oil is 1.46. But, when I plugged the information into the equation the way you told me,

n1 sin(θ1) = n2 sin(θ2)
1.46 sin(θ1) = 2.18 (sin 25)
θ1= 39, not 35.

Am I using the wrong angle measurement or is it my calculations that are off?

Your last solution is correct. I plugged in the numbers and the answer that I get agrees with yours, 39 degrees. How sure are you that the answer is 35 degrees? Sometimes posted answers or answers in the back of the book are incorrect.

Thank you for the help. I looked in the back of the book and it said 35 degrees, but I guess it's wrong.

What is Snell's Law?

Snell's Law, also known as the law of refraction, is a formula that describes the relationship between the angles of incidence and refraction when light passes through different mediums.

What are the key variables in Snell's Law?

The key variables in Snell's Law are the angle of incidence (θ1), the angle of refraction (θ2), and the refractive indices of the two mediums (n1 and n2).

How do you solve a Snell's Law problem?

To solve a Snell's Law problem, you first need to identify the given variables and determine which medium has a higher refractive index. Then, use the formula n1sinθ1 = n2sinθ2 to calculate the unknown variable.

What is the relationship between the angles of incidence and refraction in Snell's Law?

The angles of incidence and refraction are directly related in Snell's Law. As the angle of incidence increases, the angle of refraction also increases, but at a slower rate. This relationship is described by the formula sinθ1 / sinθ2 = n2 / n1.

What are some real-life applications of Snell's Law?

Snell's Law is used in many practical applications, such as in the design of lenses for eyeglasses and cameras, the study of optics and light in physics, and in the navigation of ships and submarines using underwater periscopes.