Snell's law with complex n, interpret complex angle?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a question about interpreting a complex angle in optics, specifically in regards to the equation n sin theta = n' sin theta'. The last comment provided a solution to the question by explaining that the sine function can still be evaluated for complex numbers and that the surfaces of constant phase may not be coincident with the direction of propagation due to attenuation.
Cruikshank
Reference for this topic:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=221973

This post discussed the topic, but the last comment was exactly the question I am trying to figure out, and no one responded:

I've been teaching myself optics from Klein and Furtak, and spent a long time on page 75 deriving the laws of reflection and refraction from matching the boundary conditions. I finally got the equations to come out right, but I'm still having trouble interpreting what it says on page 76: that with complex n, n', the equation n sin theta = n' sin theta' still holds, but that theta' is no longer the direction of propagation. That makes NO sense to me, because theta' was *defined* to be the direction of propagation in the new medium. Now, the equation seems to be true because I derived it from the boundary conditions, but unless the real and imaginary parts of the indices of refraction satisfy a strict constraint, (which I have no reason to believe that they do) the angle of propagation turns out to be complex. How am I to interpret a complex angle?

In other words, if I know n, k (absorption coefficient), theta (angle of incidence), n', and k', what is that formula telling me about theta' ? Which way will the beam go? Is the direction of absorption *different* from the direction of propagation? I thought I had just figured out that the complex vector wave number K was not of the most general form A+Bi, but rather (a+bi)*A. But this seems to be contradicting that. Any ideas?

Science news on Phys.org
My copy of Klein and Furtak is in my office, but I'll take a crack:

If n and n' are complex, than [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\theta '[/itex] are complex numbers as well. That's not really a problem, since the sine function can still be evaluated:

[tex] sin(z)=(e^{iz}-e^{-iz})/(2i), [/tex]

Physically, one interpretation is that as the light propogates and is attenuated, the surfaces of constant phase are no longer coincident with the direction of propagation, similar to evanescent waves.

Thank you very much! That was the detail I was forgetting. A couple more pages of algebra and I got expressions for the actual directions of propagation and attenuation.

1. What is Snell's law with complex n?

Snell's law with complex n is a generalization of Snell's law that takes into account the complex refractive index of a medium. It describes the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction of a light ray passing through a medium with a complex refractive index.

2. How is complex angle used in Snell's law?

In Snell's law with complex n, the angle of incidence and angle of refraction are represented as complex numbers, with the real part representing the actual angle and the imaginary part representing the phase shift. This allows for a more accurate description of the behavior of light in media with complex refractive indices, such as metamaterials.

3. What is the significance of complex refractive index?

The complex refractive index takes into account the absorption and scattering of light in a medium, which cannot be described by a real refractive index. It is important in understanding the behavior of light in materials that exhibit these properties, such as semiconductors and plasmas.

4. How is Snell's law with complex n different from the traditional Snell's law?

Traditional Snell's law only applies to materials with a real refractive index, while Snell's law with complex n can be used for materials with complex refractive indices. Additionally, the angle of incidence and angle of refraction are complex numbers in Snell's law with complex n, while they are real numbers in traditional Snell's law.

5. Can Snell's law with complex n be applied to all materials?

No, Snell's law with complex n is only applicable to materials that exhibit a complex refractive index. This includes materials such as metamaterials, semiconductors, and plasmas. For materials with a real refractive index, traditional Snell's law should be used.