SNL Couric-Palin Interview | Saturday Night Live

• Thread starter edward
  • Start date
In summary: I was looking forward to an administration where Palin would be a competent and successful decision maker. However, after her interview with Couric, I am not so sure this is going to happen.
Physics news on Phys.org
"Adorable"

In all honesty...how many people (voters) do you estimate watched that piece and DIDN"T see anything wrong with what she said...that's the scary part.

Like Kennedy in 1960 (women voters)...how many guys will vote for her (and McCain) because of her "features"?

:rofl: Good skit again! That really was a horrendous interview. I somehow kept waiting for her to tell us Americans just need maps.

Great skit! And I was impressed with the "gets cuter under pressure" observation. I had missed that one.

Apparently [as reported by one CNN pundit... I think David Gergen] even people within the McCain camp privately admit that the interview with Couric was a disaster.

Ivan Seeking said:
Apparently [as reported by one CNN pundit... I think David Gergen] even people within the McCain camp privately admit that the interview with Couric was a disaster.

Privately? It's been plastered all over the news. A few tried to make excuses for it, that it's because she's had so few interviews everyone is hanging on every word of one (well, duh, but that's another issue entirely), but I haven't heard anyone try to claim it was in any way successful. She came across like a complete ditz!

Moonbear said:
Privately? It's been plastered all over the news.

CNN has been immersed in the debate and credit crisis. I hadn't seen any of that about Palin yet. What network?

She came across like a complete ditz!

In most settings she probably comes off as an intelligent and engaging woman, and she may well be, but I think she is completely out of her league. Of course she could still redeem herself in the debate.

Ivan Seeking said:
CNN has been immersed in the debate and credit crisis. I hadn't seen any of that about Palin yet. What network?
How could you miss it?

Also

Palin defends Alaska-Russia foreign policy remark

When Couric asked how Alaska's closeness to Russia enhanced her foreign policy experience, Palin said, "Well, it certainly does because our ... our next-door neighbors are foreign countries." Alaska shares a border with Canada.

Palin didn't answer directly when Couric inquired about whether she had been involved in any negotiations with the Russians.

"We have trade missions back and forth," she replied. As she continued, Palin brought up Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin.

"It's very important when you consider even national security issues with Russia as Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where — where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right over the border. It is — from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there. They are right next to ... to our state," she said.
:uhh:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080925/ap_on_el_pr/palin;_ylt=Ap3xR4TEHXlDm044m9BcGGJh24cA [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
The scariest part of the SNL skit last night was that Fey pretty much had to just repeat what Palin said. Ok, the part about shooing away Russians that are hanging around in Alaska was added, but for the "answer" about the 700 billion dollar bailout, Palin gave Fey all the material needed.

Moonbear said:
A few tried to make excuses for it, that it's because she's had so few interviews everyone is hanging on every word ...

One did not need to "hang on every word" for that one. It's sort of like we've been listening to a "lite rock" radio station, waiting for something interesting to happen, then they suddenly play "Three blind mice," on a toy piano. You can't help but notice how pathetic the whole thing really is. Palin's got nothing but strings.

Evo said:
How could you miss it?

Oh yes, I saw that one. Cafferty is my buddy. Also, I was referring to comments directly from the McCain camp. I know she is getting blasted by the media, and rightfully so!

btw, if you didn't hear, his [Cafferty's] wife just died a few weeks ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
In most settings she probably comes off as an intelligent and engaging woman, and she may well be, but I think she is completely out of her league. Of course she could still redeem herself in the debate.

And monkeys COULD fly out of my pooper.

Sorry. I'm livid. And I am, as I have stated before, an ARDENT FAN OF JOHN McCAIN! I became a republican (for a while) because of him. I had been thinking that "hey we win either way with this presidential race: W will be gone!" But this is W. back again!

A sub-genius, likable, reg'lar folk, SHORT-TERM governor (he of an oil-state with low-power governorship, she of an oil-state with nearly the lowest population) is propped up as the next leading candidate by the powers that be (that be oil).

I was looking forward to an administration where the three highest executives were NOT ALL ex oil exectutives ("ex" used loosely: how much from Haliburton this year? the answer is: go F yourself).

Do you remember 8 years ago when W. read his love letter to the public on how his running mate had been "standing next to him the entire time?" Cheney, yes Cheney the fourth branch of government (the unchecked one), picked W.'s running mate! It was so transparent to me at the time. Palin is just as transparent.

If McCain wins, I will wait it out. If in four years, Palin becomes the next presumptive nominee, New Zealand gets five new citizens.

I don't think you have to worry about Palin being the presumptive choice...remember Dan Quayle?

Ivan Seeking said:
I guess everything but CNN. :uhh: I heard about it every channel I flipped to that had news on the day after the interview, even the local channels that tend toward more conservative views.

I suspect so, in terms of her being an intelligent woman. But, this was the worst nightmare of what could have happened on an interview after such a long period of silence...it justified everyone's fears that they've kept her hiding because she can't give a coherent interview or isn't ready for that level of debate yet. There's just no denying that this interview was horrible...you couldn't even explain it away by editing and media bias if one was so inclined to try. As much of a feminist as I am, I wanted to scream at her, "Just go back to running for president of the PTA!" :eek:

I am curious to see the VP debate, MUCH more so than the presidential debate on Friday. I'm curious to see if she'll redeem herself, stick to a few well-rehearsed talking points, or completely flub like this interview.

Palin made my choice in this election easy, before her, I might have voted for McCain. She makes Obama the only safe choice because there is no guarantee that McCain will last 4 years and the thought of her becoming President is too scary to even consider.

Unless she stands there absolutely tongue tied, she's got no where to go but up in the debate.

WhoWee said:
Unless she stands there absolutely tongue tied, she's got no where to go but up in the debate.
If she talks, she could go down.

Like Abraham Lincoln said "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt".

It doesn't seem like anyone has very high expectations at this point...it's hard to imagine what she'd have to say to look worse. My guess is she'll be WELL prepared for the debate.

1. What is the "SNL Couric-Palin Interview" skit on Saturday Night Live?

The "SNL Couric-Palin Interview" is a popular skit on the comedy show Saturday Night Live, which parodies an interview between then-Alaska Governor Sarah Palin and CBS news anchor Katie Couric. The skit was first aired in 2008 during the U.S. presidential election and has since become one of SNL's most iconic political sketches.

2. Who portrayed Sarah Palin in the "SNL Couric-Palin Interview" skit?

The role of Sarah Palin was played by comedian and actress Tina Fey. Fey's spot-on impression of Palin, complete with her accent and mannerisms, gained widespread popularity and even earned her an Emmy award for Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series.

3. Did Sarah Palin or Katie Couric ever respond to the "SNL Couric-Palin Interview" skit?

Both Sarah Palin and Katie Couric have publicly acknowledged the skit and even appeared on SNL to address it. In 2008, Palin appeared on the show alongside Tina Fey and the real Katie Couric, jokingly stating that the skit "was quite funny" and that she "was happy to be in on the joke." Couric also made a surprise appearance on SNL in 2008, poking fun at herself and her famous interview with Palin.

4. How accurate was the "SNL Couric-Palin Interview" skit?

The skit was a satirical parody and was not meant to be an accurate portrayal of the actual interview. However, many of the lines and exchanges in the skit were taken directly from the real interview, making it a clever and humorous interpretation of the event.

5. Was the "SNL Couric-Palin Interview" skit controversial?

The skit received mixed reactions, with some finding it hilarious and others criticizing it for being too biased or offensive. However, it ultimately added to the ongoing political debate surrounding the 2008 presidential election and became one of SNL's most successful sketches in recent years.