SO(10) -> SU(3) x SU(2) x U(1) -inflation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the theory of inflation and references a paper by Andrei Linde from 1982. It questions whether SO(10) can be a candidate for an extension of the standard model and if there have been any studies on the inflation scenario in this case. The conversation also mentions three aspects that differentiate inflation scenarios and references a paper by Alan Guth on the topic. The speaker expresses surprise at the lack of research on SO(10) in this context.
EL
Science Advisor
I'm trying to learn some theory of inflation, and recently read a paper by Andrei Linde from 1982 where he suggested a scenario where inflation is driven by the phase transition SU(5) -> SU(3) x SU(2) x U(1). Now SU(5) is known to not be a good candidate as an extension of the standard model, but what about SO(10)? I wonder if anyone has studied what kind of inflation scenario a spontaneous symmetrybreaking of the kind SO(10) -> SU(3) x SU(2) x U(1) could give? Anyone knows any refs?

Space news on Phys.org
There must be someone here knowing about inflation?
The reference to Linde's paper is:
Linde A.D., "A new inflationary universe scenario: A possible solution of the horizon, flatness, homogeneity, isotropy and primordial monopole problems", Physics Letters B, Volume 108, Issue 6, p. 389-393.

I cannot give you an answer, but it is a pitty if this question gets forgotten. I can share some thoughts with you about this, but keep in mind that I do not know anything about these GUT theories. I guess there are mainly three aspects that may differentiate both inflationary scenarios:

- The shape of the scalar field potential, that will determine the duration of inflation and how it takes place.
- The couplings to the other fields, that will determine how reheating takes place and therefore production of matter.
- The quantity and masses of monopoles that may be created. Historically, the reason for Alan Guth to postulate inflation was to find a mechanism to remove GUT monopoles from the observable universe.

hellfire said:
I guess there are mainly three aspects that may differentiate both inflationary scenarios:

- The shape of the scalar field potential, that will determine the duration of inflation and how it takes place.
- The couplings to the other fields, that will determine how reheating takes place and therefore production of matter.
- The quantity and masses of monopoles that may be created. Historically, the reason for Alan Guth to postulate inflation was to find a mechanism to remove GUT monopoles from the observable universe.

Yes, I really think those three points must have been investigated for an SO(10)-model too, but I just cannot find any such paper, which surprises me a bit.

Btw, the ref to Guth's "inflation-paper" is:
A.H. Guth, "Inflationary universe: A possible solution to the horizon and flatness problems", Phys.Rev.D23 (1981) 347.

1. What is the SO(10) -> SU(3) x SU(2) x U(1) inflation model?

The SO(10) -> SU(3) x SU(2) x U(1) inflation model is a theoretical framework in cosmology that describes the early universe as having undergone a phase of rapid exponential expansion, known as inflation. This model is based on the symmetry breaking of the SO(10) group into the SU(3) x SU(2) x U(1) gauge groups, which are the foundations of the Standard Model of particle physics.

2. How does the SO(10) -> SU(3) x SU(2) x U(1) inflation model solve the horizon problem?

The horizon problem refers to the fact that different regions of the observable universe appear to have the same temperature, even though they are too far apart to have ever been in thermal equilibrium. The SO(10) -> SU(3) x SU(2) x U(1) inflation model proposes that during the inflationary period, the universe expanded faster than the speed of light, causing these regions to come into contact and reach thermal equilibrium. This solves the horizon problem by explaining how distant regions of the universe have the same temperature.

3. What evidence supports the SO(10) -> SU(3) x SU(2) x U(1) inflation model?

One of the main pieces of evidence supporting the SO(10) -> SU(3) x SU(2) x U(1) inflation model is the observation of the cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation. This radiation is a remnant of the hot, dense early universe and provides strong support for the inflation theory. Additionally, the model is consistent with other cosmological observations, such as the large-scale structure of the universe and the amount of dark matter present.

4. What is the role of the Higgs field in the SO(10) -> SU(3) x SU(2) x U(1) inflation model?

The Higgs field plays a crucial role in the SO(10) -> SU(3) x SU(2) x U(1) inflation model. In this model, the Higgs field is responsible for the symmetry breaking of the SO(10) group into the SU(3) x SU(2) x U(1) groups, which leads to the inflationary period. The Higgs field also gives mass to particles, which is a key aspect of the Standard Model of particle physics.

5. Are there any alternative inflation models besides SO(10) -> SU(3) x SU(2) x U(1)?

Yes, there are several alternative inflation models that have been proposed. Some examples include chaotic inflation, hybrid inflation, and new inflation. These models differ in their assumptions and predictions, but all aim to explain the same phenomenon of rapid expansion in the early universe.