1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

So simple, what am I missing?

1. Feb 9, 2012 #1
    So simple, what am I missing??

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A wagon is being pulled with a force of 104N so that the handle makes an angle of 35 degrees above the horizontal. The force of friction between the wheels of the wagon and the ground is 78N. What is the net force acting on the wagon?

2. Relevant equations
    F=m*a

3. The attempt at a solution
    Alright I've made my free-body diagram and I know you're supposed to break it into components. So I have

Fnetx = Fapplied(cos35) - Ffriction = m*a

Fnety = Fapplied(sin35) + Fnormal - Fgravity = m*a = 0

I've been trying to rearrange it to find at least one unknown but I cant figure out how to find any of them. I've been trying to rearrange them to find mass, Fnormal, μ but I cant seem to get it. What am I missing?

thanks guys

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Re: So simple, what am I missing??

Since the problem is only asking for the net force acting on the wagon, you won't need to find the mass or μ or anything other than the forces. Presumably you simply need to resolve the force vectors into a single resultant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook