So, very amateur question regarding element combinations

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of naming chemical compounds and the different types of molecules that exist. The individual is seeking clarification on whether all molecules with "O2" in their formula are considered dioxides, and if the same can be said for "CO3" and carbonates. The responder provides confirmation and suggests looking into chemical nomenclature and different types of molecules to understand the naming process better. The individual expresses gratitude for the help and clarifies their understanding of the topic.
Boquito17
Firstly, sorry if this is in the wrong place. I'm new here. Seems to be an awesome site! :)

Homework Statement

Well, I've got to learn all these formulae (regarding the periodic table) and was wandering if there's any specific way to be able to understand when something is and Oxide or Dioxide etc.

Homework Equations

Like fore example SO2 is Sulphur Dioxide, does that mean all "O2" are dioxide?

Also, like CaCO3 is Calcium Carbonate - so CO3 is Carbonate?

The Attempt at a Solution

I came here :p

O couldn't find this, cause I wasn't sure how to word it in Google...

Anyway, I'm only 15, so it's the rather more basic answers.

Thanks in advanced, I really appreciate it! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Like fore example SO2 is Sulphur Dioxide, does that mean all "O2" are dioxide?

Yup.
http://www.fairbornchempage.com/Resources/Prefixes.htm

Also, like CaCO3 is Calcium Carbonate - so CO3 is Carbonate?

Yes.

The term you were probably looking for was "chemical nomenclature" for the Google search. But you also need to know the different types of molecules to know how to name them.

Squeezebox said:
Yup.
http://www.fairbornchempage.com/Resources/Prefixes.htm

Yes.

The term you were probably looking for was "chemical nomenclature" for the Google search. But you also need to know the different types of molecules to know how to name them.

Thank you very much! Appreciate it buddy!

When you say different types of molecules, you mean the element symbols right? Or the amount of electrons etc. in Bhor's Atomic Structure?

Thanks very much! :)

Boquito17 said:
Thank you very much! Appreciate it buddy!

When you say different types of molecules, you mean the element symbols right? Or the amount of electrons etc. in Bhor's Atomic Structure?

Thanks very much! :)

You can have different compounds like ionic or organic and they have two different naming schemes.

Squeezebox said:
You can have different compounds like ionic or organic and they have two different naming schemes.

Oh, OK yeah I see - the ones I have though seem more basic -- I should be good to go...

Thanks again!

1. What are elements and how are they different from compounds?

Elements are substances that cannot be broken down into simpler substances by chemical means. Compounds, on the other hand, are substances made up of two or more elements chemically bonded together.

2. How are elements combined to form compounds?

Elements combine through chemical reactions, where their atoms bond together to form molecules. This can happen through various types of bonding, such as ionic, covalent, or metallic bonding.

3. Can any elements be combined together to form a compound?

No, not all elements can be combined together to form compounds. Some elements are highly reactive and can easily bond with other elements, while others are stable and do not bond easily.

4. Are there rules or patterns for how elements combine to form compounds?

Yes, there are patterns and rules that govern how elements combine to form compounds. These include the octet rule, which states that atoms tend to gain, lose, or share electrons to achieve a stable outer electron configuration, and the periodic table, which organizes elements based on their properties and reactivity.

5. What are some common examples of element combinations in everyday life?

Some common examples of element combinations include water (H2O), salt (NaCl), carbon dioxide (CO2), and iron oxide (Fe2O3). These compounds are essential for various processes and functions in our daily lives, such as drinking water, cooking, and rusting of metals.