1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

So, very amateur question regarding element combinations

1. May 2, 2010 #1
    Firstly, sorry if this is in the wrong place. I'm new here. Seems to be an awesome site! :)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Well, I've got to learn all these formulae (regarding the periodic table) and was wandering if there's any specific way to be able to understand when something is and Oxide or Dioxide etc.

2. Relevant equations

Like fore example SO2 is Sulphur Dioxide, does that mean all "O2" are dioxide?

Also, like CaCO3 is Calcium Carbonate - so CO3 is Carbonate?

3. The attempt at a solution

I came here :p

O couldn't find this, cause I wasn't sure how to word it in Google...

Anyway, I'm only 15, so it's the rather more basic answers.

Thanks in advanced, I really appreciate it! :)
  2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2010 #2

The term you were probably looking for was "chemical nomenclature" for the Google search. But you also need to know the different types of molecules to know how to name them.
  4. May 2, 2010 #3
    Thank you very much! Appreciate it buddy!

When you say different types of molecules, you mean the element symbols right? Or the amount of electrons etc. in Bhor's Atomic Structure?

Thanks very much! :)
  5. May 2, 2010 #4
    You can have different compounds like ionic or organic and they have two different naming schemes.
  6. May 2, 2010 #5
    Oh, OK yeah I see - the ones I have though seem more basic -- I should be good to go...

Thanks again!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook