Solve Soft Drink Equation Homework Statement

• Thread starter DMOC
  • Start date
In summary, a soft-drink manufacturing company introduces a new product and wants to predict the number of bottles sold per day based on the number of days since the product was introduced and the amount spent on advertising. The salespeople make several assumptions about the sales, including a fixed amount spent on advertising, a proportional amount maintaining present sales, and a direct proportionality between the rate of change in bottles sold and the rest of the advertising budget. The resulting equation for bottles sold as a function of days is B(t) = \frac{Me^{\frac{-40t}{M}} - M}{-0.08}. The company then wants to know the profit they will make if they charge a certain price per bottle and spend $100 on
DMOC

Homework Statement

A soft-drink manufacturing company introduces a new product. The company's salespeople want to predict the number of bottles per day they will sell as a function of the number of days since the product was introduced. One of the parameters will be the amount per day spent on advertising. Here are some assumptions the salespeople make about the sales.

-The dependant variable is B bottles per day; the independant variable is t days.
-They will spend a fixed amount, M dollars per day, on advertising.
-Part of M, an amount porportional to B, maintains present sales
-The rate of change of B, dB/dt, is directly proportional to the rest of M.
-Advertising costs need to be $80 per day to maintain sales of 1,000 bottles per day.
-Due to advance publicity, dB/dt will be 500 bottles per day when t=0, independant of M.

Find an equation for B as a function of t. Then show the effect of spending various amounts, M, on advertising.

------------------------------------------------------------

Homework Equations

The unconstrained exponential growth equation is:

[tex]\frac{dB}{dt} = M*B (1 - \frac{B}{M})[/tex]

where B is population (or in this case, I guess it's bottles per day?) and M is the maximum sustainable population (or bottles?).

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at the equation is something like this:

[tex]B = 500t - \frac{40*B*t}{M}[/tex]

I came at this because:

[tex]t = 0, B = 0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dB}{dt} = 500[/tex] when [tex]t = 0[/tex]

However, I am unsure if this is the correct equation based on the 6 parts given above. I'm supposed to express B in terms of M and t.

Physics news on Phys.org
DMOC said:
The unconstrained exponential growth equation is:

[tex]\frac{dB}{dt} = M*B (1 - \frac{B}{M})[/tex]

where B is population (or in this case, I guess it's bottles per day?) and M is the maximum sustainable population (or bottles?).

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at the equation is something like this:

[tex]B = 500t - \frac{40*B*t}{M}[/tex]

I don't have time right now to analyze whether your differential equation is correct in the first place or not, but one thing for sure is that your solution isn't. You have this unknown B(t) and you don't integrate it to get B(t)*t. Assuming your DE is correct, you would need to solve it for B(t), probably by separation of variables.

When you refer to DE, you're talking about the first equation I have, right? I copied that one straight off of my notes. :)

So for my solution, I have to take this D.E. I have and solve for B. Does that mean I have to do stuff like take the integrand of both sides? (so that dB/dt becomes B(t)? ).

I don't think your first equation is correct. You're probably meant to derive the equation from scratch. Focus on these two clues for now:

-Part of M, an amount porportional to B, maintains present sales
-The rate of change of B, dB/dt, is directly proportional to the rest of M

The first sentence means that dB/dt has to be 0 when M is equal to a certain value proportional to B. You should get an equation very similar to the one in your notes, but with an extra constant.

DMOC said:
When you refer to DE, you're talking about the first equation I have, right? I copied that one straight off of my notes. :)

So for my solution, I have to take this D.E. I have and solve for B. Does that mean I have to do stuff like take the integrand of both sides? (so that dB/dt becomes B(t)? ).

Does solving a DE by the method of "separation of variables" ring a bell?

The words "sep. of variables" doesn't ring a bell but the method does.

I was eventually able to solve the full problem, ending up with:

[tex]B(t) = \frac{Me^{\frac{-40t}{M}} - M}{-0.08}[/tex]

Thanks everyone. :)

Okay guys apparently this problem has additional steps.

I know this equation is right, but now I'm asked "If the advertising budget only allows $100 per day, what price should I charge (per bottle) to start having a profit in two days?

So does this mean that I have to plug in 2 for t in the preceding equation, set it equal to zero, then find out what M is? That will give me the amount of mine that gives me a break even - no profit, no loss. Is this the right analysis?

EDIT: Okay it looks like I just have to know how much profit I get if I charge a bottle at a certain rate. I'm not sure how to do this. Derivative?

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of solving the soft drink equation in this homework statement?

The purpose of solving the soft drink equation is to understand the chemical reactions and components involved in the production of soft drinks. This equation helps us calculate the amount of ingredients needed to make a certain quantity of soft drink. It also allows us to predict the properties and taste of the final product.

2. What is the soft drink equation and how is it derived?

The soft drink equation is a chemical equation that represents the reaction between carbon dioxide gas and water to produce carbonic acid. It is derived from the chemical formula for carbon dioxide (CO2) and water (H2O) combining to form carbonic acid (H2CO3). This reaction is important in the carbonation process of soft drinks.

3. How is the soft drink equation used in the production of soft drinks?

The soft drink equation is used in the production of soft drinks to determine the amount of carbon dioxide gas needed to carbonate the drink. This helps to achieve the desired level of fizziness in the final product. The equation is also used to calculate the amount of carbonic acid present, which affects the taste and acidity of the drink.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of the soft drink equation?

The accuracy of the soft drink equation can be affected by various factors such as temperature, pressure, and impurities in the water or carbon dioxide gas. Changes in these factors can alter the reaction and affect the final product. Additionally, the type and concentration of ingredients used in the soft drink can also impact the accuracy of the equation.

5. How can the soft drink equation be applied in other industries?

The soft drink equation can be applied in other industries that utilize carbonation, such as the production of beer and sparkling wine. It can also be used in the study of chemical reactions and the properties of carbonic acid. In the food and beverage industry, it is important to understand the soft drink equation to produce consistent and high-quality products.