Spring Differential Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the illustration of 3 springs, with each case involving a displacement and velocity of a pan. The equation (Newton's 2nd Law) is used to solve for the three cases, with the given values for ##\frac{B}{m}## and ##\frac{k}{m}##. The final part involves determining the direction in which the vector ##\left(\frac{y(t)}{v(t)}\right)## approaches ##\left(\frac{0}{0}\right)## as ##t→∞##, with three possible answers being given.
Drakkith
Mentor

Homework Statement

Consider the illustration of 3 springs:
springs_small_ghw5.jpg

In A, we hang a very light spring and pan from a hinge. The pan and spring are so light, we can neglect any stretching of the original length ##l_{0}##. In B we add a weight ##mg## which force is balanced by ##kl## (Hooke's Law; the spring tension is proportional to the displacement ##l##); i.e. ##mg=kl##.
In C, we displace the pan by a further ##y(0) = y_{0}## and give the pan an initial velocity ##v_{0} = \frac{dy}{dt}|_{t=0}##.

Let ##y(t),v(t)=\frac{dy}{dt}## be the displacement and velocity of the pan. ##y(t)## satisfies the equation (Newton's 2nd Law): ##m\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}=mg-k(y+l)-B\frac{dy}{dt}##
or, since ##mg = kl##, and dividing across by ##m##,

##(1) ## ##\frac{d^2}{dt^2}+\frac{B}{m}\frac{dy}{dt}+\frac{k}{m}y=0##

Given ##\frac{B}{m} = 4(sec)^{-1}## and ##\frac{k}{m} = (a.) 3, (b.) 4, (c.) 7##,
with ##y(0) = 1, \frac{dy}{dt}(0) = 0##, solve ##(1)## for the three cases, ##a, b, c##.
Write the solution in each case for ##y(t), v(t)##.

Homework Equations

##y(0) = 1##
##\frac{dy}{dt}(0) = 0##

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I've solved two of the cases they wanted me to solve, but I'm stuck on this part:

Case ##(a.)##
As ##t→∞##, the vector ##\left(\frac{y(t)}{v(t)}\right)## approaches ##\left(\frac{0}{0}\right)## along what direction?

Could someone explain what this means? What does 'approaches along what direction' mean? The three possible answers are ##\left(\frac{1}{1}\right), \left(\frac{1}{-1}\right), \left(\frac{-1}{3}\right)##. (They aren't fractions, I just don't know how to put a vertical vector in a post using LaTex)

Physics news on Phys.org
Drakkith said:

Homework Statement

Consider the illustration of 3 springs:
View attachment 113883

In A, we hang a very light spring and pan from a hinge. The pan and spring are so light, we can neglect any stretching of the original length ##l_{0}##. In B we add a weight ##mg## which force is balanced by ##kl## (Hooke's Law; the spring tension is proportional to the displacement ##l##); i.e. ##mg=kl##.
In C, we displace the pan by a further ##y(0) = y_{0}## and give the pan an initial velocity ##v_{0} = \frac{dy}{dt}|_{t=0}##.

Let ##y(t),v(t)=\frac{dy}{dt}## be the displacement and velocity of the pan. ##y(t)## satisfies the equation (Newton's 2nd Law): ##m\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}=mg-k(y+l)-B\frac{dy}{dt}##
or, since ##mg = kl##, and dividing across by ##m##,

##(1) ## ##\frac{d^2}{dt^2}+\frac{B}{m}\frac{dy}{dt}+\frac{k}{m}y=0##

Given ##\frac{B}{m} = 4(sec)^{-1}## and ##\frac{k}{m} = (a.) 3, (b.) 4, (c.) 7##,
with ##y(0) = 1, \frac{dy}{dt}(0) = 0##, solve ##(1)## for the three cases, ##a, b, c##.
Write the solution in each case for ##y(t), v(t)##.

Homework Equations

##y(0) = 1##
##\frac{dy}{dt}(0) = 0##

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I've solved two of the cases they wanted me to solve, but I'm stuck on this part:

Case ##(a.)##
As ##t→∞##, the vector ##\left(\frac{y(t)}{v(t)}\right)## approaches ##\left(\frac{0}{0}\right)## along what direction?

Could someone explain what this means? What does 'approaches along what direction' mean? The three possible answers are ##\left(\frac{1}{1}\right), \left(\frac{1}{-1}\right), \left(\frac{-1}{3}\right)##. (They aren't fractions, I just don't know how to put a vertical vector in a post using LaTex)
$$ \pmatrix{1\\-1} \; \text{or} \; \begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ -1 \end{bmatrix} $$
These work for any number of dimensions:
$$\pmatrix{a\\b\\c} \; \text{or} \; \begin{bmatrix}a\\b\\c \end{bmatrix}.$$
Right-click on the formula and select "display math as tex..." to see the commands used. Alternatively, if you have only two components you can "cheat" and use the binomial coefficient, like this:
$${1 \choose -1}. $$

Last edited:
Likes Drakkith

What is a "Spring Differential Equation"?

A spring differential equation is a mathematical representation of the motion of a spring. It is a second-order differential equation that describes the relationship between the displacement of a spring and the forces acting on it.

What is the significance of a spring differential equation?

Spring differential equations are important in physics and engineering as they allow us to model and predict the behavior of springs in various systems. They are also used in fields such as mechanics, acoustics, and electronics.

What are the variables in a spring differential equation?

The variables in a spring differential equation are the displacement of the spring (x), its velocity (v), and acceleration (a). These variables are all functions of time (t).

How do you solve a spring differential equation?

The solution to a spring differential equation involves finding the general solution, which includes two arbitrary constants, and then using initial conditions to determine the specific solution. This can be done analytically or numerically using software or programming languages.

What are some real-life applications of spring differential equations?

Spring differential equations are used in various real-life applications, such as modeling the motion of a car's suspension system, analyzing the oscillations of a pendulum, predicting the behavior of a trampoline, and designing shock absorbers for buildings or vehicles.