Software to do polynomial calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a program that can take a specific polynomial expression and return it in its original form. The individual mentions that MATLAB has the capability to do this through polynomial convolution, but a program that directly outputs the polynomial would be more convenient. They later clarify that they were able to find a solution using MATLAB by defining symbols as symbols, rather than variables.
zzmanzz
Hi,

I'm looking for a program that will take

[1 + (1+p)]*p

and return the unchanged polynomial. i.e. 2p + p^2

I know that MATLAB allows u to do polynomial convolution but for my purposes a program that returns the polynomial in the above format will be much much easier to work with.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe my question wasn't clear but I did find a way to do it in matlab.

If anyone is curious it's very simple. The key is to define symbols:

symbs p

This tells MATLAB that x and y are symbols not variables.

Then just do expand or regular operations.

1. What is software for polynomial calculation?

Software for polynomial calculation is a type of computer program that is designed to perform mathematical operations related to polynomials. This can include tasks such as simplifying, solving, factoring, and graphing polynomials.

2. What are the benefits of using software for polynomial calculation?

The main benefit of using software for polynomial calculation is its efficiency and accuracy. It can quickly perform complex calculations that would be time-consuming and prone to error if done manually. Additionally, it can handle large data sets and provide visual representations of the results.

3. What types of polynomials can be calculated using this software?

Software for polynomial calculation can work with polynomials of any degree, including linear, quadratic, cubic, and higher order polynomials. It can also handle polynomials with multiple variables and complex coefficients.

4. Is there a cost associated with using this software?

There are both free and paid options for software for polynomial calculation. Some basic calculators may be available for free online, while more comprehensive software with advanced features may require a one-time purchase or subscription fee.

5. How accurate are the results from this software?

The accuracy of the results depends on the quality of the software and the input data. Generally, well-designed software for polynomial calculation will provide highly accurate results. However, it is always important to double check the inputs and outputs to ensure accuracy.