What equipment is needed for illuminated I-V measurements of a solar cell?

In summary, to perform illuminated I-V measurements of a solar cell, you will need a light source (preferably with variable intensity), 2 multimeters (one for current measurement and one for voltage measurement), a variable resistor, and an irradiance meter (optional). As the variable resistor is adjusted, the I-V curve will change.
says
What equipment is needed for illuminated I-V measurements of a solar cell?

light source, 2 multimeters
light source, 2 multimeters, variable resistor, voltage source
light source of variable intensity, 2 multimeters, irradiance meter
Light source, 2 multimeters, variable resistor
PV analyser

I assume we obviously need a light source, 2 multimeters (one for current measurement and one for voltage measurement) and a variable resistor. As we move the variable resistor the I-V curve will change.

I got asked this question a while ago, and completed some illuminated I-V measurements, but I forgot what equipment I used and I can't find anything online at the moment.

Engineering news on Phys.org
says said:
I assume we obviously need a light source, 2 multimeters (one for current measurement and one for voltage measurement) and a variable resistor. As we move the variable resistor the I-V curve will change.
That works.

1. What is a Solar Cell I-V measurement?

A Solar Cell I-V measurement is a test that measures the current-voltage (I-V) characteristics of a solar cell. It helps to determine the efficiency and performance of a solar cell by measuring the amount of current produced at different voltage levels.

2. How is a Solar Cell I-V measurement performed?

A Solar Cell I-V measurement is typically performed using a specialized instrument called an I-V curve tracer. The solar cell is connected to the I-V curve tracer, and a range of voltages and corresponding currents are measured and plotted to create the I-V curve.

3. What information can be obtained from a Solar Cell I-V measurement?

A Solar Cell I-V measurement can provide information on the maximum power output, open-circuit voltage, short-circuit current, and fill factor of a solar cell. This information is crucial in determining the efficiency and performance of the solar cell.

4. Why is a Solar Cell I-V measurement important?

A Solar Cell I-V measurement is important because it allows scientists to accurately assess the performance of a solar cell. This information can be used to improve the design and efficiency of solar cells, ultimately leading to more efficient and cost-effective solar energy production.

5. Are there any limitations to Solar Cell I-V measurements?

While Solar Cell I-V measurements provide valuable information, there are some limitations to consider. The measurement results may vary depending on the environmental conditions, such as temperature and light intensity. Additionally, the accuracy of the measurement can be affected by the quality of the equipment used and the experience of the person performing the test.