Solar eclipses, total and annular

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter Labguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solar
In summary, Labguy has shared some amazing photos of solar eclipses he has taken. He had to travel to Baja, Mexico and El Paso, Texas to capture these events. He also recommends using a steady-pix for easier afocal photography and suggests using a DSLR with eyepiece projection for even better results. Labguy also mentions the difficulty of using the Orion steady-pix and asks for suggestions or comments from others who have used it.
Labguy
Science Advisor
I like solar eclipses, total and annular:

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Nice pics Labguy! Where did you have to go to see those events?

Aether said:
Nice pics Labguy! Where did you have to go to see those events?
The first two are from the "Great Eclipse" of 07/11/1991. For this one, I had to go to lower Baja, Mexico (Cabo San Lucas) to be near the center path of totality. totality was 6 minutes 19 seconds where I was. I think it is about another 130 years or so for one that long.

The second shot of the annular was on 05/10/1994 and the central path was dead-on at 13 miles north of El Paso, Texas. I was going to Phoenix that day anyway so I stopped there and took about 25 photos through a standard ND-5 inconel solar filter.

Two more below from 7/11/91 total. One shows the diamond ring before it split into a double, and the other shows the Chromosphere around almost 360*.

Last edited:
I recently got the Orion steady-pix for my birthday and I'm have an extremely difficult time trying to use it. I have done afocal photography in the past without and my wife thought it would be easier with the steady-pix. I have a pretty robust 8 inch Schmitt-Cass, but aligning the camera with the eyepiece is a bear. Any suggestions or comments about the Orion steady-pix?

Captain Cool Guy said:
I recently got the Orion steady-pix for my birthday and I'm have an extremely difficult time trying to use it. I have done afocal photography in the past without and my wife thought it would be easier with the steady-pix. I have a pretty robust 8 inch Schmitt-Cass, but aligning the camera with the eyepiece is a bear. Any suggestions or comments about the Orion steady-pix?
Sounds like a film camera. That's all I ever used and haven't done any for several years. No CCD for me.

If your camera is a 35mm SLR with removable lens, eyepiece projection is very handy with one of these:

http://www.telescope.com/shopping/p...e=PRODUCT&iMainCat=6&iSubCat=29&iProductID=52

Much easier than the bracket you now have. Plus, with your SCT, you probably have enough focus travel to do prime focus photos at f/10 using just the camera and the scope, no eyepiece and no lens on the camera.

I know some of the other methods for my sct but I feel bad because I think that my wife bought me a piece of crap and I just wanted to take at least one good role for her sake and I was wondering if anyone else has learned any techniques or even a procedure for using their steadypix.

1. What is a solar eclipse?

A solar eclipse occurs when the moon passes between the sun and the Earth, blocking the sun's light and casting a shadow on certain parts of the Earth's surface.

2. What is the difference between a total and annular solar eclipse?

In a total solar eclipse, the moon completely covers the sun, creating a dark shadow on the Earth. In an annular solar eclipse, the moon does not completely cover the sun, leaving a visible ring of sunlight around the moon's shadow.

3. How often do solar eclipses occur?

Solar eclipses happen 2-5 times per year, but they are not visible from all parts of the Earth each time.

4. Is it safe to look at a solar eclipse?

No, it is not safe to look at a solar eclipse with the naked eye. The intense light from the sun can damage your eyes. It is recommended to use specialized glasses or observe the eclipse indirectly through a pinhole projector or other safe methods.

5. When and where will the next solar eclipse occur?

The next solar eclipse will occur on December 4, 2021 and will be visible in parts of Antarctica, southern Africa, and the southern tip of South America. The next total solar eclipse visible in the United States will be on April 8, 2024.