Why do neutrinos escape the sun's core faster than photons?

In summary, the difference between photons and neutrinos is that photons feel both the electromagnetic and weak forces, while neutrinos only feel the weak force. The electromagnetic force is much stronger than the weak force, which explains why photons are more likely to interact with atoms than neutrinos. Additionally, photons behave as waves and can be attracted by the electromagnetic force of the atoms around them. On the other hand, neutrinos are nearly collisionless and can penetrate through large amounts of matter without interacting with it. This makes them very unlikely to interact with atoms.
SHISHKABOB
Hi guys, I have a question about the difference in the time it takes a neutrino to escape the core of the sun compared to the time it takes a photon to escape from the core of the sun.

Basically, my question is: what is the difference between photons and neutrinos that makes neutrinos very unlikely to interact with atoms, while photons are very likely to interact with atoms?

I know that neutrinos are very small compared to the sizes of atoms and electrons, but aren't photons very small too? They don't really have a size, right?

I've thought about it a bit, and maybe I've answered it myself: since electrons "orbit" the nucleus of an atom in the electron cloud, they are effectively "everywhere" in their orbit at once, right? And then since the atoms are so tightly packed together in the core, the electron clouds are very close together too, right? So then basically it comes down to the fact that the neutrino hardly ever interacts with electrons and other particles, while photons end up getting sucked into an atom all the time.

I'm not 100% certain on that though, could someone help clear this up?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi SHISHKABOB! :smile:
SHISHKABOB said:
… what is the difference between photons and neutrinos that makes neutrinos very unlikely to interact with atoms, while photons are very likely to interact with atoms?

photons feel the electromagnetic force (and the weak force), but neutrinos only feel the weak force …

and the electromagnetic force is a lot stronger than the weak force

(the clue's in the name! :wink:)​

tiny-tim said:
Hi SHISHKABOB! :smile:

photons feel the electromagnetic force (and the weak force), but neutrinos only feel the weak force …

and the electromagnetic force is a lot stronger than the weak force

(the clue's in the name! :wink:)​

that makes sense, thanks

so then when a photon is emitted, it is attracted by the electromagnetic force of the atoms around it? I guess I am confused about how exactly the photon or neutrino "hits" the atom...

SHISHKABOB said:
I guess I am confused about how exactly the photon or neutrino "hits" the atom...

oooh, I'd rather let someone alse answer that. :redface:

I think it has more to do with the photon and the atom behaving as waves than as classical particles

tiny-tim said:
oooh, I'd rather let someone alse answer that. :redface:

I think it has more to do with the photon and the atom behaving as waves than as classical particles

that sounds reasonable, thank you very much anyways

SHISHKABOB said:
so then when a photon is emitted, it is attracted by the electromagnetic force of the atoms around it? I guess I am confused about how exactly the photon or neutrino "hits" the atom...

How are uncharged photons attracted by electromagnetic force?

Oldfart said:
How are uncharged photons attracted by electromagnetic force?

A photon practically IS the EM force. It's electric and magnetic fields oscillate back and forth so it is overall uncharged, but every time it gets to a peak in it's electric field it is either positive or negatively charged.

Drakkith said:
A photon practically IS the EM force. It's electric and magnetic fields oscillate back and forth so it is overall uncharged, but every time it gets to a peak in it's electric field it is either positive or negatively charged.

OK, that's informative! Thanks, Drak!

The big deal is neutrinos are nearly collisionless. A neutrino can penetrate a light year of lead with relative ease, photons are far more sociable. Dark matter is even more anti social than neutrinos.

Okay so I went back and read some stuff on it again, and I think I found the solution to my puzzlement. Photons only go a few millimeters, apparently, before being absorbed and remitted. A few millimeters of incredibly dense star core matter is still a lot of hydrogen atoms that it "missed". It makes sense conceptually to me now, thanks for the help guys.

1. What are solar neutrinos and photons?

Solar neutrinos are particles that are created in the core of the sun through nuclear reactions. They have no charge and very little mass, and they are able to pass through matter without interacting with it. Photons, on the other hand, are particles of electromagnetic radiation that make up light. They are created in the core of the sun through the fusion of hydrogen atoms.

2. How are solar neutrinos and photons different?

The main difference between solar neutrinos and photons is their properties. Neutrinos have no electric charge, while photons have an electric charge of zero. Additionally, neutrinos have a very small mass (almost zero), while photons have no mass. Furthermore, neutrinos can pass through matter without interacting with it, while photons can be absorbed, reflected, or scattered by matter.

3. How do scientists detect solar neutrinos and photons?

Scientists use different methods to detect solar neutrinos and photons. Neutrinos are detected using large underground detectors, which are shielded from other particles that could interfere with the detection. Photons are detected using telescopes that can capture the electromagnetic radiation emitted from the sun.

4. Why is it important to study solar neutrinos and photons?

Studying solar neutrinos and photons can provide valuable information about the processes happening in the core of the sun. This can help us understand the sun's energy production and its impact on the Earth's climate. It can also provide insights into the fundamental properties of matter, such as mass and charge, and help us develop new technologies that harness solar energy.

5. Can solar neutrinos and photons be used as a source of energy?

While both solar neutrinos and photons are produced by the sun's fusion reactions, they cannot be directly used as a source of energy. Neutrinos have very low energy and are difficult to capture, while photons have very high energy and are difficult to convert into usable forms of energy. However, scientists are researching ways to harness solar energy indirectly by using solar panels to convert photons into electricity.