How Do You Calculate the Magnetic Field and Energy in a Solenoid?

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of the magnetic field and total energy input inside a solenoid, assuming certain conditions. The equations used include B = u0 (N/l) I and Ampere's Law. The individual is looking for a starting point and mentions a previous problem involving the computation of electric field in a parallel plate capacitor.
nissanztt90

Homework Statement

Consider a solenoid of length L, transverse area A, total number of loops N

Compute the magnetic field B inside the solenoid, assuming that it is uniform and vanishes outside the solenoid, neglect any boundary effects.

Working under the same assumptions, calculate the total energy input necessary to turn on an electric current through the solenoid from 0 to a final value I. This computation must involve an integral.

Homework Equations

I need to derive B = u0 (N/l) I for the first part.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know where to start, that's really all i need is a starting point. I am a bit confused, so if someone knows which equations to use/or start with that would be a big help.

For example i had another problem where i had to compute the electric field E in a parallel plate capacitor...needed to derive E = Q/([tex]\epsilon[/tex]0A), but i had V=Ed, V=Q/C, and C = ([tex]\epsilon[/tex]0A)/d to start with.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know Ampere's Law?
If so, think about what kind of path you'd need to use for it to be helpful.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Magnetic Field and Energy in a Solenoid?

1. What is the solenoid equation derivation?

The solenoid equation derivation is a mathematical process that explains the relationship between the magnetic field strength inside a solenoid and the current flowing through it. It is derived from Ampere's law and the Biot-Savart law.

2. How is the solenoid equation derived?

The solenoid equation is derived by considering a solenoid as a series of circular current loops and using the Biot-Savart law to calculate the magnetic field at a point inside the solenoid. This is then combined with Ampere's law to obtain the final solenoid equation.

3. What are the assumptions made in the solenoid equation derivation?

The solenoid equation derivation assumes that the solenoid is infinitely long, has a uniform current density, and is made of a perfect conductor. It also assumes that the magnetic field outside the solenoid is negligible.

4. What is the significance of the solenoid equation derivation?

The solenoid equation derivation is important because it allows us to calculate the magnetic field strength inside a solenoid, which has many practical applications in areas such as electromagnets, motors, and generators. It also helps us understand the behavior of magnetic fields and how they are affected by electric currents.

5. Are there any limitations to the solenoid equation derivation?

Yes, the solenoid equation derivation has some limitations. It only applies to ideal solenoids, which have infinitely long and uniformly wound coils. Real-world solenoids may deviate from these ideal conditions, which can affect the accuracy of the solenoid equation. Additionally, the derivation does not take into account the effects of external magnetic fields on the solenoid.