Solid-liquid Equilibrium via EOS

In summary: The fugacity of asphaltine in a solution of toluene can be approximated as an ideal liquid solution. This approximation is valid if the concentration of asphaltine in the solution remains constant. If the concentration of asphaltine in the solution changes, the fugacity of asphaltine in the solution will also change. Determining the fugacity of asphaltine on nanoparticles is complicated because the adsorption of asphaltine onto the nanoparticles is not an equilibrium process.
Farshad
Hi guys
I want to model the adsorption of asphaltenes on nanoparticles from a thermodynamic equilibrium solution ( this is my thesis ). from this way, I want to show how much asphaltene is adsorbed on nanoparticles at different temperatures and pressures (without using of isotherms of adsorption) .
The problem is that asphaltenes from a solution such as toluene want to be adsorbed onto the surface of the nanoparticles. Considering that in the state of equilibrium, the chemical potential of solids and liquid phases , or in other words, the two-phase fugacities are equal. instead of the fugacity of the asphaltene in the liquid phase (asphaltene fugacity in toluene solution) and the solid phase (asphaltene fugacity on nanoparticles), What equations should i embedding that including fugacity coefficient and the asphaltenes mole fraction in two phases?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Farshad said:
(without using of isotherms of adsorption) .
You simply can not do that.

Bystander said:
You simply can not do that.
What do you mean by simply can not? what i have to do? Do you know what equations should I make instead of fugacity of asphaltenes on solid and in solution?

You want an equation for the fugacity of asphaltine (a) in a solution of toluene and (b) when adsorbed onto the surface of a nanoparticle, correct?

Likes Farshad
Chestermiller said:
You want an equation for the fugacity of asphaltine (a) in a solution of toluene and (b) when adsorbed onto the surface of a nanoparticle, correct?
Yes, for a better understanding, these images show what i need
photo_۲۰۱۷-۱۱-۲۰_۱۷-۱۶-۲۶.jpg

photo_۲۰۱۷-۱۱-۲۰_۱۷-۱۶-۲۹.jpg
For the fugacity of asphaltenes in the solid and liquid phase, i don't know what equations of state can be used to include fugacity coefficients?
after doing this, i use the equation that encluding Z, instead of fugacity coefficient. and finally from the equality of first and second sides, i can calculate xA ( amount of adsorbed asphaltene on nanoparticles) at constant T,P .

Attachments

• photo_۲۰۱۷-۱۱-۲۰_۱۷-۱۶-۲۶.jpg
    photo_۲۰۱۷-۱۱-۲۰_۱۷-۱۶-۲۶.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 464
  • photo_۲۰۱۷-۱۱-۲۰_۱۷-۱۶-۲۹.jpg
    photo_۲۰۱۷-۱۱-۲۰_۱۷-۱۶-۲۹.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 484
If the solution of asphaltene in toluene can be approximated as an ideal liquid solution, then the fugacity of the alphaltene in the toluene liquid solution is straightforward. Can it be approximated as an ideal solution? The fugacity of the adsorbed asphaltene on the nanoparticles is more complicated. My background in statistical thermodynamics is very limited, but I know that this would be what one would use to develop the required relationship. Have you had a course in statistical thermodynamics? Sorry I can't offer any more help than this.

Likes Farshad
Chestermiller said:
If the solution of asphaltene in toluene can be approximated as an ideal liquid solution, then the fugacity of the alphaltene in the toluene liquid solution is straightforward. Can it be approximated as an ideal solution? The fugacity of the adsorbed asphaltene on the nanoparticles is more complicated. My background in statistical thermodynamics is very limited, but I know that this would be what one would use to develop the required relationship. Have you had a course in statistical thermodynamics? Sorry I can't offer any more help than this.

I think yes, solution is ideal. if its ideal,what is the fugacity of asphaltene in solution equal to? ( i mean which equation should I use? ), and why determining fugacity of asphaltene on nanoparticles is complicated?

Last edited:

1. What is the meaning of "Solid-liquid Equilibrium via EOS"?

EOS stands for Equation of State, which is a mathematical formula used to describe the behavior of a substance under different conditions. In this context, "Solid-liquid Equilibrium via EOS" refers to the use of an equation of state to determine the equilibrium between a solid and liquid phase of a substance.

2. How is the equilibrium between solid and liquid phases determined using EOS?

EOS calculates the equilibrium between solid and liquid phases by considering factors such as temperature, pressure, and the properties of the substance. It takes into account the balance between the energy required to melt a solid into a liquid and the energy released when a liquid solidifies.

3. What types of substances can be analyzed using Solid-liquid Equilibrium via EOS?

Solid-liquid equilibrium via EOS can be applied to a wide range of substances, including pure elements, mixtures, and compounds. It is commonly used in the study of materials science, chemical engineering, and geology.

4. What is the significance of understanding Solid-liquid Equilibrium via EOS?

Understanding solid-liquid equilibrium via EOS is crucial in various industries, as it allows for the prediction and control of phase transitions in substances. It also provides insights into the behavior of materials under different conditions, which can aid in the development of new products and processes.

5. How accurate is Solid-liquid Equilibrium via EOS in predicting phase transitions?

The accuracy of solid-liquid equilibrium via EOS depends on the accuracy of the equation of state used and the input parameters. In general, it is a reliable method for predicting phase transitions, but there may be some discrepancies between the calculated and experimental values.