Solid Mechanics- Ultimate Load in truss.

In summary: It's a matter of looking at the structure from simple to complicated and isolating the less complicated joints first, then use the solved forces to go after the more complicated ones. I hope you understand my explanation, if not, let me know.In summary, when determining the required diameter of rods AC and AD in a truss with a factor of safety of 3.0 and an ultimate load of 29 kips, it is important to convert the load to stress before using it in the factor of safety equation. Additionally, it is helpful to isolate simpler joints first and use the solved forces to solve for more complicated joints.
ledphones

Homework Statement

A 3/4-in.-diameter rod made of the same material as rods AC and AD in the truss shown was tested to failure and an ultimate load of 29 kips was recorded. Using a factor of safety of 3.0, determine the required diameter (a) of rod AC, (b) of rod AD.

Homework Equations

τ(allowable)=τ(ultimate)/f.s.
A(req) = P/σ(allowable)
ƩM=0
ƩF(y)=0
ƩF(x)=0
Area=π/4*d^2

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found the allowable load. 29/3= 9.66667

Next I took the moment about B finding the reaction of A in the x direction to be 60 kips.

By summing the forces in the x and y direction i found the reaction at B to be -60 and the reaction of A in the y to be 20.

This is where I go wrong. I take the force in rod AC to be √(20^2+60^2) = 63.25 kips + 10 kips from C. So the total force is 73.25.

Then the next step would be dividing this force by the allowable force to find the area. 73.25/9.66667=7.578

From here I the area is equal to pi/4*d^2 ... d=√(A*4/pi) which would be 3.106 in for bar AC. The correct answer is 1.141 in in AC and 1.549 in in AD.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Attachments

• 20120908_211145.jpg
    20120908_211145.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 1,204
Physics news on Phys.org
I can see some errors here that I'll point out in both your method and answers.

1) Shear stress isn't involved in this problem, only normal stresses. In your equations the factor of safety relation is the same for normal stresses but here you indicate shear with tau. Just want to make sure that you are aware.

2) The allowable load is incorrect. The information you are given for the test rod is the diameter of the test rod and the load at failure. You need to convert this to stress first before you can use it. Rather than plug in the failure stress into the factor of safety relation, here you've used the failure load which is incorrect.

3) I came up with a different value for the load in AC. I'll double check my calculations but I got 111.8 kips.

Double check what you have and see if you get a better answer.

ledphones, Your reactions are correct, but your method of finding member forces is not. After finding reactions, isolate the simpler joints first, the ones with the least number of members framing into the joint, like B or D, which has just 2. When you look at D, you can find the x and y components of the force in AD, then solve for the force in AD. And when you look at B, you can solve the force or lack thereof in AB. Now when you go back to joint A, since you know all forces and force components acting there except AC, you can now solve for AC.

1. What is solid mechanics?

Solid mechanics is a branch of mechanics that studies the behavior of solid materials, such as structures, under the influence of external forces. It involves concepts and principles from physics, mathematics, and engineering to analyze and predict the response of these materials to different loading conditions.

2. What is ultimate load in truss?

Ultimate load in truss refers to the maximum load that a truss structure can withstand before failure occurs. It is also known as the ultimate strength or ultimate capacity of the truss and is an important factor in the design and construction of truss systems.

3. How is ultimate load calculated in truss?

The ultimate load in truss is calculated by analyzing the internal forces and stresses within the truss members, considering the properties of the materials used and the geometry of the structure. This can be done using mathematical equations and computer simulations to determine the critical load at which the truss will fail.

4. What factors affect the ultimate load in truss?

The ultimate load in truss is affected by various factors, including the type and quality of materials used, the geometry and design of the truss, the loading conditions and direction, and any external factors such as wind or seismic forces. The strength and stability of the connections between truss members also play a crucial role in determining the ultimate load.

5. How is the ultimate load in truss used in engineering?

The ultimate load in truss is an essential factor in the design and analysis of truss structures in engineering. It helps engineers determine the maximum safe load that can be applied to the truss, allowing them to design structures that can withstand expected loads without failure. The ultimate load is also used to compare different truss designs and select the most efficient and cost-effective option for a specific application.