1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solid State: Diffraction Conditions

1. Sep 11, 2009 #1
    In my Solid State course we've reached the topic of crystal diffraction and reciprocal lattices. I haven't had any problems so far, but I've hit a little snag in understanding how the diffraction condition [tex]2\vec{k} \cdot \vec{G}=G^2[/tex] is equivalent to the Bragg law [tex]2d\sin{\theta}=n\lambda[/tex].

In the textbook (Introduction to Solid State Physics - Kittel 8th Ed.), the math is as follows:

1. The reciprocal lattice vector [tex]\vec{G}=h\vec{b}_1+k\vec{b}_2+l\vec{b}_3[/tex] is normal to the lattice plane given by the indices [tex](hkl)[/tex].
    2. The spacing between these planes is [tex]d_{hkl}=\tfrac{1}{h}\hat{n}\cdot\vec{a}_1=\tfrac{1}{Gh}\vec{G}\cdot\vec{a}_1=\tfrac{2\pi}{G}[/tex] where [tex]\vec{a}_1[/tex] is a primitive axis for the direct lattice.
    3. The diffraction condition [tex]2\vec{k} \cdot \vec{G}=G^2[/tex] can then be written as [tex]2k\sin{\theta}=2(\tfrac{2\pi}{\lambda})\sin{\theta}=\tfrac{2\pi}{d_{hkl}} \Rightarrow 2d_{hkl}\sin{\theta}=\lambda[/tex]. Here, [tex]\theta[/tex] is the angle between [tex]\vec{k}[/tex] and the plane [tex](hkl)[/tex], not between [tex]\vec{k}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{G}[/tex].
    4. Somehow [tex]d_{hkl}=\tfrac{d}{n}[/tex], so this becomes [tex]2d\sin{\theta}=n\lambda[/tex] which is just the Bragg law.

Now, most of this I understand. The only things I don't get are why the lattice plane spacing [tex]d_{hkl}[/tex] is equal to [tex]\tfrac{1}{h}\hat{n}\cdot\vec{a}_1[/tex] and what the relationship [tex]d_{hkl}=\tfrac{d}{n}[/tex] means. What's the difference in physical meaning between [tex]d_{hkl}[/tex] and [tex]d[/tex]?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted