Solubility of Benzo(a)pyrene & Other PAH's in Pure Water

• Thread starter dx/dy=?
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solubility
In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling to find information on the solubility of Benzo(a)pyrene and other PAH's in pure water at STP. They ask for help and receive a link to a paper that provides this information. They express gratitude for the assistance and mention that this paper is one of the few that actually states the PAH solubility in a practical manner, not just as a theoretical model.
dx/dy=?
Hello all,

I am struggling to find papers or textbooks that can give me the solubility (mg/L or similar) of Benzo(a)pyrene and other PAH's in pure water at STP...

Does anyone hava link they can direct me towards for this, my SI Data book has nothing on the solubility of PAH's.

Thanks-

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Try http://www.toronto.ca/health/pdf/cr_appendix_b_pah.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you :)

I found this paper not long after posting this, and it is still one of the only papers I can find actually stating PAH solubility in a manner that is not a theoretical model!

I much appreciate your assistance.

1. What is the solubility of Benzo(a)pyrene in pure water?

The solubility of Benzo(a)pyrene in pure water is very low, approximately 0.026 µg/L at 25°C.

2. How does the solubility of Benzo(a)pyrene in pure water affect its toxicity?

The low solubility of Benzo(a)pyrene in pure water means that it is not readily available for organisms to absorb and can therefore reduce its toxicity to aquatic species.

3. What factors can influence the solubility of PAH's in pure water?

The solubility of PAH's in pure water can be influenced by temperature, pH, and the presence of other substances such as organic matter or dissolved oxygen.

4. Is the solubility of PAH's in pure water affected by their molecular weight?

Yes, generally the lower the molecular weight of a PAH, the more soluble it is in water. Benzo(a)pyrene, with a molecular weight of 252.31 g/mol, has a lower solubility compared to other PAH's with lower molecular weights, such as naphthalene (128.17 g/mol).

5. What are some potential health effects of exposure to PAH's through contaminated water?

Exposure to PAH's through contaminated water has been linked to various health effects, including respiratory problems, skin irritation, and an increased risk of certain types of cancer. The specific health effects can vary depending on the type and level of exposure.