Solution to Show Relation of X, P with Representation of P=-ih/2π*∂/∂x +f(x)

In summary, the conversation discusses the commutator relation between operators X and P in quantum mechanics. It is given that X=x and P has the representation P=-ih/2π*∂/∂x +f(x). The goal is to show that this form of P satisfies the commutation relation [X,P]=ih/2π. By operating on an arbitrary function g(x) with [x,P], it is shown that P must take this specific form.
najima

Homework Statement

given that X(operator) and P (operator) operate on functions,and the relation [X,P]=ih/2π,show that if X(operator)=x ,and P (operator) has the representation P=-ih/2π*∂/∂x +f(x)
where f(x) is an arbitrary function of x

Homework Equations

quantum mechanic by Liboff

The Attempt at a Solution

I wrote the commutator relation of P and x on an arbitrary function like g(x) ,[x,p]g(x) so XP(g(x))-PX(g(x))=ih/2pi(g(x)) because of X=x so I wrote
xP(g(x))-P(xg(x))=xP(g(x))-xP(g(x))-g(x)Px=-g(x)Px=ih/2pi(g(x)) so I can derive just this part of equation-ih/2π*∂/∂x , what can I do for the part of f(x)?

Physics news on Phys.org
If I'm interpreting the question correctly, your not supposed to derive the commutation relation; it's actually a given. You are also told that [itex]X=x[/itex].What you don't know is what [itex]P[/itex] is. You're supposed to show that given [tex] [X,P]=i \hbar[/tex] and [itex]X=x[/itex] that [itex]P[/itex] must take the form [tex]-i \hbar \frac{d}{dx} +f(x)[/tex]...to do this, just operate on a function [itex]g(x)[/itex] by [itex] [x,P][/itex] while leaving [itex]P[/itex] as an unknown operator...what do you get when you do that?

thanx now I get it!

I think I must derive that P is this form P=-ih/2π*∂/∂x +f(x)

Related to Solution to Show Relation of X, P with Representation of P=-ih/2π*∂/∂x +f(x)

1. What is the equation for the relation between X, P, and P?

The equation for the relation between X, P, and P is P = -iħ/2π * (∂/∂x) + f(x), where P represents momentum, X represents position, and f(x) represents the potential energy.

2. How is this equation related to quantum mechanics?

This equation is related to quantum mechanics because it is a fundamental equation used to describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It is part of the Schrödinger equation, which is the cornerstone of quantum mechanics.

3. What do the different variables in the equation represent?

The variable P represents momentum, which is the product of an object's mass and velocity. X represents position, which is the location of an object in space. The term f(x) represents the potential energy of the system.

4. How is this equation used in scientific research?

This equation is used in scientific research to understand and predict the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a certain state.

5. What are some real-world applications of this equation?

This equation has many real-world applications, including studying the behavior of electrons in atoms, understanding the properties of materials, and developing new technologies such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography.