1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solutions to the following equation (from Kronig-Penney)?

1. Nov 27, 2011 #1
    I'm looking to find solutions for K to the following equation which arises in the Kronig-Penney model of a periodic potential:

[tex] \frac{P}{Ka}\sin(Ka) + \cos(Ka) = -1 [/tex]

The equation is such that for a given value of P, there will be a range of K values having a real solution, and a range of K values having no real solution. The idea is to find the boundaries of these ranges. (knowing of course that the trivial solution of K = pi/a is one of them, I'm looking for the other).

I can't think of a good way to do this analytically. If I expand the trig functions into series, I can find the maximum value that can be added to K and still give a solution, but that is not an exact method.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2011 #2
    Aha.

Upon further study, I've discovered that this is, in fact, a transcendental equation, and thus unsolvable analytically. I shall revert to numerical/graphical methods!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook