Solve an ODE using exact methods?

• Thread starter andycampbell1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, the conversation is about solving an ordinary differential equation using exact methods and evaluating the solution for specific values of x. The person asking for help does not understand the question and is not familiar with exact methods or integrating factors. The expert explains the meaning of solving the differential equation and mentions different methods of solving it. They also point out a potential error in the given equation. The conversation ends with the person asking for help expressing their confusion and lack of understanding on the subject.
andycampbell1

Homework Statement

dy/dx + 0.8 y = 0.6 e ^-(0.6+0.8) , y(0) = 1

Solve this ordinary differential equation subject to the given condition using exact methods and evaluate the solution y for x = 0.0 (0.05) 0.5, i.e from x = 0 to x = 0.5 in steps of 0.05).

Hi, am pretty hopeless at ODEs, I do not even understand what the question means. Would someone be able to put it simply. I am not sure what exact methods are. Is this to do with runge kutta?

Any help would be great thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You do not understand what "solve the differential equation" means? It means, "find a function y(x) that satifies the differential equation and also satisfies y(0)= 1." You are then asked to evaluate that function at x= 0.05, 0.10, 0.15, 0.20, 0.25, 0.30, 0.35, 0.40, 0.45, and 0.50.

As far as "use exact methods" is concerned, they do not want you to use any approximate or numerical method.

There are many different ways to solve that equation- it is a linear first order equation with constant coefficients. One way to solve it is to find an "integrating factor"- there is a standard formula for finding integrating factors of first order linear equations. Do you know it? Or you could find the solution to the "characteristic equation". Do you know what that is?

I do have a question about "e^-(0.6+0.8)". Was there supposed to be an "x" in there? Otherwise, why not just write "e^(-1.4)"? Was it supposed to be "e^-(0.6x+ 0.8)" or "e^-(0.6+ 0.8x)"? (The second is somewhat harder than the first.)

Hi sorry your probably right that it should be (1.4) there is also an x on the outside of the bracket meaning it would be e^(1.4)x. I don't know what integrating factors are. This subject is a bit of a mystery to me I've gone through the class notes about half a dozen times and I just can't seem to get my head around it I have notes on 2nd order linear odes with constant coefficients would this be similar?

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE, or Ordinary Differential Equation, is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model a wide range of phenomena in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

2. What are exact methods for solving ODEs?

Exact methods for solving ODEs involve finding an analytical solution that satisfies the equation exactly. This can be done using techniques such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or the method of undetermined coefficients.

3. How do I know when to use exact methods for solving an ODE?

Exact methods are most useful when the ODE can be written in a specific form, such as a separable or linear equation. If the equation cannot be written in this form, numerical methods may be more appropriate.

4. Are there any limitations to using exact methods for solving ODEs?

Exact methods may not always be possible or practical to use, especially for more complex or nonlinear equations. In these cases, numerical methods can provide approximate solutions.

5. Can I use exact methods for solving ODEs with initial conditions?

Yes, exact methods can be used to solve ODEs with initial conditions. These initial conditions are used to determine the constants of integration in the solution, providing a specific solution that satisfies both the equation and the initial conditions.