Solve Car Chasing Problem: How Long to Catch Speeder?

• Thread starter Axpyre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, we are given a scenario where a car traveling at 36 m/s is pursued by a police car accelerating at 3.01 m/s^2 from rest. To the nearest second, we need to determine how long it takes for the policeman to catch the speeder. The solution involves setting up kinematics equations for each driver, solving for time, and then using the ratio of known values to find the distance at which the two cars would intersect. The final answer is 24 seconds, with the police car achieving a velocity of 72 m/s and passing the speeder.
Axpyre

Homework Statement

A car traveling at 36 m/s passes a policeman who immediately accelerates at 3.01 m/s^2 from rest in pursuit. To the nearest second how long does it take the policeman to catch the speeder?

Homework Equations

I need help..

The Attempt at a Solution

I need major help..

Physics news on Phys.org
Axpyre said:

Homework Statement

A car traveling at 36 m/s passes a policeman who immediately accelerates at 3.01 m/s^2 from rest in pursuit. To the nearest second how long does it take the policeman to catch the speeder?

Homework Equations

I need help..

I need major help..

Set up kinematics for each of the drivers.

[tex]x_f=x_i+v_0t+0.50at^2[/tex].

Can you explain that formula? I haven't learned it yet. What is I?

Axpyre said:
Can you explain that formula? I haven't learned it yet. What is I?

The final position of an object is equal to its initial position plus its initial velocity times the amount of time it travels plus one-half the acceleration times the time traveled squared.

You know how fast each of the cars were moving to begin with, that they begin at an initial position of zero, that they end up at the same place, and they have diff. accelerations--solve.

Yes that works. Work out kinematics for each then combine the equations and solve. I used it for similar problem finding the time it takes for a dog to catch up to a rabbit with 50m head start, given only the velocities of the dog and rabbit.

Very nice, thank you.

I'm also a student ( I think ) ;
after the moment thief and cop is next to each other;
if,
The Way The Thief Drives = The Way The Cop Drives
Then Cop catches the Thief.
36 . t = 0,5 . 3,01 . t^2
is the equation right ?

FiskiranZeka said:
I'm also a student ( I think ) ;
after the moment thief and cop is next to each other;
if,
The Way The Thief Drives = The Way The Cop Drives
Then Cop catches the Thief.
36 . t = 0,5 . 3,01 . t^2
is the equation right ?

Yes, that's exactly right.

Axpyre said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I need help..

I need major help..

I used 3.0 m/s^2 rather than 3.01 m/s^2.

It would take 24 seconds for the police vehicle (starting from rest and accelerating uniformly at a rate of 3.0 m/s^2) to intersect with the pursued vehicle, which is traveling at a steady rate of 36 m/s. They would intersect 864 meters further down the highway.

½ x (3.0 m/s^2) x (24 seconds^2) = 864 meters (distance achieved by police vehicle in 24 seconds)

(36 m/s) x (24 seconds) = 864 meters (distance achieved by pursued vehicle in 24 seconds)

However, the police vehicle would have achieved far greater velocity by this point (in fact, 72 m/s), so it would simply pass the vehicle. If however, the police vehicle had to ram the vehicle Kamikaze style, then it would make contact in just 24 seconds.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here’s the time required per an acceleration of precisely 3.01 m/s^2:

½ x (3.01 m/s^2) x (23.92026578 seconds^2) = 861.1295681 meters (distance of accelerating police vehicle)

(36 m/s) x (23.92026578 seconds) = 861.1295681 meters (distance of speeding vehicle at steady velocity)

Since the time is the same for each equation, I used the ratio of the known values between both equations to establish the distance when the two vehicles would intersect. 36 m/s is known in the speeder’s equation while ½ x 3.01 m/s^2 (which equals 1.505) is known from the accelerating police vehicle equation therefore:

36 m/s / 1.505 = 23.92026578 seconds

23.92026578 seconds x 36 m/s = 861.1295681 meters (just as the kinematics of both equations agree)

Last edited:

Related to Solve Car Chasing Problem: How Long to Catch Speeder?

1. How is the car chasing problem solved?

The car chasing problem is solved by using a mathematical formula called the time-distance-rate formula. This formula calculates the time it takes for the pursuing car to catch up to the speeder based on their respective speeds.

2. What factors affect the time it takes to catch a speeder?

The time it takes to catch a speeder is affected by several factors, including the speed of the pursuing car, the speed of the speeder, the distance between the two cars, and any changes in speed or direction during the chase.

3. Is there a set time frame for catching a speeder?

There is no set time frame for catching a speeder as it depends on the variables mentioned above. However, the time it takes to catch a speeder can be calculated using the time-distance-rate formula.

4. Can the time-distance-rate formula be applied to all car chasing scenarios?

The time-distance-rate formula can be applied to most car chasing scenarios as long as the variables are known. However, it may not be accurate in situations where there are unexpected changes in speed or direction.

5. Can technology be used to help solve the car chasing problem?

Yes, technology can be used to help solve the car chasing problem. For example, GPS tracking devices can be used to determine the speeds and locations of the two cars, which can then be used in the time-distance-rate formula to calculate the time it takes to catch the speeder.