1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve Cos(a+b)

1. Sep 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

cos(a+b)

2. Relevant equations

find formulas for above

3. The attempt at a solution

cos (a+b)

= cos (a-(b))

=cos(a)cos(-b) + sin(a)sin(-b)

=cos(a)cos(b) - sin(a)sin(b)

I been scratching my head at this for hours now, and I still can't figure out how this works.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: cos(a+b)

cos(a+b) is not equal cos(a-b). Do you have a formula for one that you are trying to transform into a formula for the other?

4. Sep 14, 2008 #3

@dick - no, he has written a - b, but i think he meant a - (-b), as he has followed it up with the relevant calculations.

What i can't understand is what the question is. You seem to have solved and found solution already.

5. Sep 14, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree, my question was trying to get at what the question is. I'm guessing it's given cos(a+b) find cos(a-b). And it is done, except for general sloppiness in the whole statement and stating the parts that make it work like cos(-b)=cos(b) and sin(-b)=-sin(b). I was just running around looking for unanswered questions.

6. Sep 15, 2008 #5

opps, sorry guys..... typo

cos(a+b)= cos (a-(-b))

=cosAcos(-b) + sin(a)sin(-b)

=cosAcosB - sinAsinB

I don't understand how the second line comes in. Where does sin come from?

The question asks to find formulas for cos(a+b). The answer is copied right out of my prof's notes, I just don't understand how it works.

7. Sep 15, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're professor must have ALREADY derived cos(a-b)=cos(a)cos(b)+sin(a)sin(b). You now want a formula for cos(a+b) without repeating something like the previous derivation. If you write a+b=a-(-b) then you've written the sum as a difference and you can use the difference formula you've already derived.

8. Sep 15, 2008 #7

thnkx, I see what the notes mean now. Yes, cos(a-b) was derived on a page earlier.....

so we set cos(a+b) = cos(a-(-b)) so it fits the cos(a-b) derivation, so we don't have to do it all over again.

got it!! thnkx...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?