Struggling with cos(a+b): My Frustration

• Thread starter viet_jon
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding formulas for cos(a+b). The attempt at a solution involves using the difference formula for cos(a-b) and setting cos(a+b) equal to cos(a-(-b)) to avoid repeating the previous derivation. The question is clarified and the solution is understood.
viet_jon

Homework Statement

cos(a+b)

Homework Equations

find formulas for above

The Attempt at a Solution

cos (a+b)

= cos (a-(b))

=cos(a)cos(-b) + sin(a)sin(-b)

=cos(a)cos(b) - sin(a)sin(b)

I been scratching my head at this for hours now, and I still can't figure out how this works.

Physics news on Phys.org

cos(a+b) is not equal cos(a-b). Do you have a formula for one that you are trying to transform into a formula for the other?

@dick - no, he has written a - b, but i think he meant a - (-b), as he has followed it up with the relevant calculations.

What i can't understand is what the question is. You seem to have solved and found solution already.

I agree, my question was trying to get at what the question is. I'm guessing it's given cos(a+b) find cos(a-b). And it is done, except for general sloppiness in the whole statement and stating the parts that make it work like cos(-b)=cos(b) and sin(-b)=-sin(b). I was just running around looking for unanswered questions.

opps, sorry guys... typo

cos(a+b)= cos (a-(-b))

=cosAcos(-b) + sin(a)sin(-b)

=cosAcosB - sinAsinB
I don't understand how the second line comes in. Where does sin come from?

The question asks to find formulas for cos(a+b). The answer is copied right out of my prof's notes, I just don't understand how it works.

You're professor must have ALREADY derived cos(a-b)=cos(a)cos(b)+sin(a)sin(b). You now want a formula for cos(a+b) without repeating something like the previous derivation. If you write a+b=a-(-b) then you've written the sum as a difference and you can use the difference formula you've already derived.

Dick said:
You're professor must have ALREADY derived cos(a-b)=cos(a)cos(b)+sin(a)sin(b). You now want a formula for cos(a+b) without repeating something like the previous derivation. If you write a+b=a-(-b) then you've written the sum as a difference and you can use the difference formula you've already derived.

thnkx, I see what the notes mean now. Yes, cos(a-b) was derived on a page earlier...

so we set cos(a+b) = cos(a-(-b)) so it fits the cos(a-b) derivation, so we don't have to do it all over again.

got it! thnkx...

What is cos(a+b)?

Cos(a+b) is a mathematical function that calculates the cosine of the sum of two angles, a and b. It is commonly used in trigonometry and calculus.

Why is understanding cos(a+b) important?

Understanding cos(a+b) is important because it is a fundamental concept in mathematics and is used in many applications, such as solving equations, analyzing motion and waves, and calculating areas and volumes.

Why do many people struggle with cos(a+b)?

Many people struggle with cos(a+b) because it involves complex mathematical concepts and can be challenging to visualize and manipulate. It also requires a solid understanding of trigonometric functions and their properties.

How can I improve my understanding of cos(a+b)?

The best way to improve your understanding of cos(a+b) is to practice solving problems and familiarize yourself with the properties and identities of trigonometric functions. It can also be helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor.

Are there any tips for simplifying cos(a+b) calculations?

Yes, there are a few tips that can make cos(a+b) calculations easier. For example, you can use trigonometric identities and properties to rewrite the expression in a simpler form, or you can use a calculator to find the numerical value of cos(a+b).