Solve Curve Sketching Problems with Joanne

• Thread starter bradycat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, you are trying to use part A to find the x-intercepts for y=0, but you get stuck when you try to find x=0. Then you try to use part B to find min/max points when y'=0, but you can't solve for y' since it's undefined. Part C is finding the points of inflection, but you're not sure what to do here. Finally, in part D you are trying to find the y-intercept for y=0, but you're not sure what to do for y' since it's undefined.
bradycat
Curve Sketching...

Curve Sketching stuck
Hi,
Stuck on curve sketching on the following.

You have part A which is finding the x-intercepts when y=0.
y = x^5 -5x
0=x^5-5x
x(x^4-5)=0
X=0 and then x^4=5? stuck here

Then Part b is min/max when y'=0
y'=5x^4-5

5(x^4-1)=0
5=0 CANT USE then X= ROOT of 1 comes to x= - or + 1?
Then to solve for Y it s x= 1,-4 and -1,4 ?

Part C is pts of inflection y''=0
So it's y"=20x^3
Don't know what to do here

Can some one direct me in the right direction, thanks
Joanne

Physics news on Phys.org

bradycat said:
Curve Sketching stuck
Hi,
Stuck on curve sketching on the following.

You have part A which is finding the x-intercepts when y=0.
y = x^5 -5x
0=x^5-5x
x(x^4-5)=0
X=0 and then x^4=5? stuck here
This can be factored some more.
x(x2 - 51/2))(x2 + 51/2) = 0
==> x(x - 51/4)(x + 51/4)(x2 + 51/2) = 0
bradycat said:
Then Part b is min/max when y'=0
y'=5x^4-5

5(x^4-1)=0
5=0 CANT USE
This is a bit silly. Of course 5 is not equal to 0. You can divide both sides of the equation by 5, right?
bradycat said:
then X= ROOT of 1 comes to x= - or + 1?
Yes, plus two imaginary solutions that you're probably not interested in.
bradycat said:
Then to solve for Y it s x= 1,-4 and -1,4 ?
I know what you're trying to say, but you're not doing it very well. If x = 1, y = -4. If x = -1, y = 4. IOW there are critical points at (1, -4) and (-1, 4).

But is either of these a local or global maximum or local or global minimum? There is more you need to do to determine these attributes.
bradycat said:
Part C is pts of inflection y''=0
So it's y"=20x^3
Don't know what to do here
What does your book have to say about finding inflection points?
bradycat said:
Can some one direct me in the right direction, thanks
Joanne

I got it all, I was confusing it with something else, why I was having the problems in the first place.

Related to Solve Curve Sketching Problems with Joanne

1. What is "curve sketching" and why is it important in problem-solving?

Curve sketching is the process of visualizing and drawing the graph of a mathematical function. It is important in problem-solving because it allows us to gain a better understanding of the behavior of a function and make predictions about its values. It also helps in identifying key features of a function, such as its intercepts, asymptotes, and local extrema.

2. Who is Joanne and why is she mentioned in the context of solving curve sketching problems?

Joanne is a fictional character commonly used in math problems to provide context and real-world application. In the context of solving curve sketching problems, Joanne may represent a person trying to analyze and understand a given function, and her name is simply used as a placeholder for the person solving the problem.

3. What are the steps involved in solving curve sketching problems?

The steps involved in solving curve sketching problems typically include identifying the domain and range of the function, finding the intercepts, determining the behavior of the function at the ends of the domain, identifying any vertical or horizontal asymptotes, finding the critical points and local extrema, and sketching the graph based on all the information gathered.

4. How do I know if my curve sketching solution is correct?

To verify the correctness of your solution, you can use a graphing calculator or software to plot the function and compare it to your hand-drawn graph. Additionally, you can check if your graph satisfies all the key features of the function, such as intercepts, asymptotes, and extrema, and if it aligns with the given information about the function.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for solving curve sketching problems more efficiently?

Some tips for solving curve sketching problems more efficiently include identifying symmetry in the function, using the first and second derivative tests to determine the behavior of the function, and using the information about the function's derivative to sketch the graph. It is also helpful to practice and familiarize yourself with different types of functions and their graphs.