How much water is used when the water falls 1 cm from 100 to 99 cm?

• Thread starter mimi.janson
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves finding the volume of water used when the water falls 1 cm from 100 to 99 cm. The equation provided is V'(h)=(∏*(h2)+212,6/6)+(∏*h2)/3 and the task is to solve the differential equation and integrate between the limits 100 and 99 to find the volume of water. This means finding the anti-derivative of the given equation and evaluating it at the given limits. The end result will be the difference in volume between the two heights, representing the amount of water used.
mimi.janson

Homework Statement

Hi i need to use V'(h) to find out how many liter of water are used when the water falls 1 cm

c) from 100 to 99 cm

Homework Equations

I know that V'(h)=(∏*(h2)+212,6/6)+(∏*h2)/3

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that i need to solve the differential equation and integrate between the limits 100 and 99. I do know how to integrate between the given limits, but i don't understand what it means to solve the equation. I already have v(h) and did integrate it in a former question where i got V'(h) so does solving the equation means that i need to find V''(h) or what ?

i will be gratefull for help so please help me

Physics news on Phys.org
Please use the Homework Template and furnish the complete text of the problem statement.

"Solve an equation" means to find an unknown that satisfies the equation! Here, the "unknown" is the function V(h). No, you do not want to find V'', you want to go the other way and find V itself.

For this situation, where the "differential equation" is "dV/dh= f(h)", you just need to find the anti-derivative of f.

I agree with Steamking and HallsofIvy. Since I can't see the full version of your question, I will try and guess at it. From experience, I think V(h) represents the volume of water at height h. So, V'(h) is the flow rate of water going out. I think you're asked to find the difference in volume between the heights 100 to 99 which they called it "how much water has been used".

Then it would be (V(100) - V(99)) or (V(99) - V(100)) depending on your V(h) and other constraints in the question.

Related to How much water is used when the water falls 1 cm from 100 to 99 cm?

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It describes the rate of change of a certain quantity over time or space.

2. What is the purpose of solving a differential equation?

The purpose of solving a differential equation is to find a function that satisfies the equation and describes the relationship between a quantity and its rate of change. This can help us understand and predict the behavior of systems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. How do you solve a differential equation?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, depending on the type and complexity of the equation. Some common methods include separation of variables, substitution, integrating factors, and using specific formulas for different types of equations.

4. What are the applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have wide-ranging applications in many fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, engineering, and economics. They are used to model and analyze systems that involve change over time or space, such as population growth, heat transfer, electrical circuits, and chemical reactions.

5. Is it important to use initial conditions when solving a differential equation?

Yes, initial conditions are crucial when solving a differential equation. They provide information about the behavior of the system at a specific point in time, and without them, there would be an infinite number of solutions to the equation.