Solve Double Potential Well: Write Equations & Find Wavenumbers

In summary, the wavenumber of the wave functions inside and outside the barrier satisfy a transcendental equation.
MobiusPrime

Homework Statement

V(x) = [tex]\left\{\infty \textrm{ for } x<0[/tex]
[tex]\left\{0 \textrm{ for } 0<x<a[/tex]
[tex]\left\{V_0 \textrm{ for } a<x<a+2b[/tex]
[tex]\left\{0 \textrm{ for } a+2bx<2a+2b[/tex]
[tex]\left\{\infty \textrm{ for } 2a+2b<x[/tex]

Set up the relevant equations in each region, write down the appropriate solution and then show that the wavenumber of the wave functions inside and outside the barrier satisfy a transcendental equation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have basically used Schrödinger equations for the energy for regions 1 2 and 3. but this is where i get stuck. I have to show the energies that work (hope that makes sense). I'm not suppose to solve for [tex]E>V_0, E=V_0 or E<V_0[/tex] but find the energies that work. I am a bit confused about the boundary conditions also. I set them up the same as a finite potential barrier, but do i need boundary conditions for x<0 and x>2a+2b? as these sections are infinite, we should just get 100% reflection?
I am also confused about the barrier in the middle. When solving for [tex]E>V_0, E=V_0 or E<V_0[/tex] we have different Schrödinger equations and different boundary conditions. How do i do it for any value of E?

I guess you all know by now i am pretty stuck lol.
Hope someone can help =)
and hope my LaTeX and writing is easy to understand =P

Physics news on Phys.org
MobiusPrime said:

Homework Statement

V(x) = [tex]\left\{\infty \textrm{ for } x<0[/tex]
[tex]\left\{0 \textrm{ for } 0<x<a[/tex]
[tex]\left\{V_0 \textrm{ for } a<x<a+2b[/tex]
[tex]\left\{0 \textrm{ for } a+2bx<2a+2b[/tex]
[tex]\left\{\infty \textrm{ for } 2a+2b<x[/tex]

Set up the relevant equations in each region, write down the appropriate solution and then show that the wavenumber of the wave functions inside and outside the barrier satisfy a transcendental equation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have basically used Schrödinger equations for the energy for regions 1 2 and 3. but this is where i get stuck. I have to show the energies that work (hope that makes sense). I'm not suppose to solve for [tex]E>V_0, E=V_0 or E<V_0[/tex] but find the energies that work.
I'm not exactly sure what that means, but I'd try considering each case separately even if you're not going to have them in your final solution, just so you can develop an intuition for the problem and its solutions.
I am a bit confused about the boundary conditions also. I set them up the same as a finite potential barrier, but do i need boundary conditions for x<0 and x>2a+2b? as these sections are infinite, we should just get 100% reflection?
Yes, you'll get 100% reflection and no penetration into those regions. You know that the wavefunction vanishes when x<0 or x>2a+2b because the potential is infinite in those regions. You still need continuity of the wavefunction at the boundaries, but because you're dealing with an infinite potential, the derivative doesn't need to be continuous.
I am also confused about the barrier in the middle. When solving for [tex]E>V_0, E=V_0 or E<V_0[/tex] we have different Schrödinger equations and different boundary conditions. How do i do it for any value of E?

I guess you all know by now i am pretty stuck lol.
Hope someone can help =)
and hope my LaTeX and writing is easy to understand =P

[tex]
V(x)= \left\{ \begin{array}{ccccc}
\infty & \textrm{ for } x<0 \\
0 & \textrm{ for } 0 < x < a \\
Vo & \textrm{ for } a < x < a+2b \\
0 & \textrm{ for } a+2bx<2a+2b \\
\infty & \textrm{ for } 2a+2b

\end{array} \right

[/tex]

Last edited:
vorcil said:
[tex]
\Psi(x,0) = \left\{ \begin{array}{ccc}
\infty & \textrm{ for } x<0 \\
0 & \textrm{ for } 0 < x < a \\
\{V_0 & \textrm{ for } a < x < a+2b \\
0 & \textrm{ for } a+2bx<2a+2b \\
\infty & \textrm{ for } 2a+2b

\end{array} \right

[/tex]

you can not have the wavefunction and the potential infinity for the same region! .. please try to solve the question step by step..

whoops I just copyed some latex, forgot to replace Psi with v(x)
my bad

What is a double potential well?

A double potential well is a quantum mechanical system in which a particle is confined between two potential barriers. It is often used as a model to study the behavior of particles in a variety of physical systems.

How do you write equations for a double potential well?

The equations for a double potential well can be written using the Schrödinger equation, which describes the evolution of a quantum system over time. The specific form of the equation will depend on the potential function used for the double well.

What is the significance of wavenumbers in a double potential well?

Wavenumbers in a double potential well represent the energy levels of the system. They are found by solving the Schrödinger equation and provide information about the allowed energy states of the particle within the well.

How do you find the wavenumbers for a double potential well?

The wavenumbers can be found by solving the Schrödinger equation for the specific potential function of the double well. This can be done analytically or numerically using computational methods.

What information can be gained from solving a double potential well?

Solving a double potential well can provide information about the energy levels, allowed states, and behavior of particles in the system. It can also be used to study phenomena such as tunneling and quantum confinement.