Solve Final Speed of Ice Sliding Down Slope

In summary, a block of ice with a mass of 2.0 kg slides down an inclined plane with a slope of 27° below the horizontal. Using the equations W=Fs and ΔKE=0.5m(vf^2 - vi^2), and neglecting friction, the final speed of the block was calculated to be 3.97 m/s. However, after realizing the need to find the parallel component of the weight, the correct answer was determined to be 2.83 m/s. The need for finding the parallel component was reviewed and explained.
hyemal.zephyr

Homework Statement

A block of ice with mass 2.0 kg slides 0.90 m down an inclined plane that slopes downward at an angle of 27° below the horizontal. If the block of ice starts from rest, what is its final speed? Friction can be neglected.

m = 2.0 kg
s = 0.90 m
θ = 27°

Homework Equations

W = Fs
W = ΔKE
ΔKE = 0.5m(vf2 - vi2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the equations given, I began with the following:
Fs = 0.5m(vf2 - vi2)

Then, because the ice is on a slope, I calculated the force acting on the block:
F = mgcosθ
F = (2.0 kg)(9.81 m/s2)cos(27°)
F = 17.48 N

Plugging all of the variables into the equation, now:
(17.48 N)(0.90 m) = 0.5(2.0 kg)(vf2 - (0 m/s)2)
vf = 3.97 m/s

Apparently, though, this is incorrect. I'm not sure why.

As a side note, I know how to solve the problem using kinematics, but this topic is introducing work, so we have to solve the problem as such.

Physics news on Phys.org
hyemal.zephyr said:
Then, because the ice is on a slope, I calculated the force acting on the block:
F = mgcosθ
That's the component of the weight perpendicular to the surface; you want the component parallel to the surface.

Yes, I got 2.83 m/s, which is apparently the correct answer. Thank you.

Though, why is that, exactly? It being the perpendicular component, that is. I've understood that as the parallel component and I've always seemed to do well with it.

hyemal.zephyr said:
Though, why is that, exactly? It being the perpendicular component, that is. I've understood that as the parallel component and I've always seemed to do well with it.
You need to review how to find components. See: http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/vectors/u3l3e.cfm"

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I see what I've been doing incorrectly. Hah, I feel like a moron now.

Thank you very much.

Related to Solve Final Speed of Ice Sliding Down Slope

1. What factors affect the final speed of ice sliding down a slope?

The final speed of ice sliding down a slope is affected by several factors, including the angle of the slope, the surface texture of the slope, the initial speed of the ice, and the presence of any obstacles or frictional forces.

2. How can the final speed of ice sliding down a slope be calculated?

The final speed of ice sliding down a slope can be calculated using the equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as, where v is the final speed, u is the initial speed, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and s is the distance traveled down the slope.

3. Does the mass of the ice affect its final speed when sliding down a slope?

Yes, the mass of the ice does affect its final speed when sliding down a slope. Heavier masses will have a greater gravitational force acting on them, resulting in a higher final speed.

4. Is the coefficient of friction important when determining the final speed of ice sliding down a slope?

Yes, the coefficient of friction is an important factor in determining the final speed of ice sliding down a slope. A higher coefficient of friction will result in a slower final speed, as there is more resistance to the ice's motion.

5. Can the final speed of ice sliding down a slope be greater than its initial speed?

Yes, the final speed of ice sliding down a slope can be greater than its initial speed if the ice encounters a steep slope or a lack of frictional forces. However, if the slope is too steep, the ice may reach a maximum speed or even start to accelerate backwards due to the force of gravity.