Solve for Distance: Bicyclist's 30-Min Journey

• Thread starter spikebrdr
  • Start date
In summary, the bike traveled a distance of 16.4 meters during the first 10 minutes and 32.8 meters during the last 20 minutes.
spikebrdr
i was wondering if anyone could give me some help with this problem

A bicyclist begins pedaling a bicycle from a complete stop. She accelerates at a constant rate until she is pedaling at 60 revolutions per minute, and then maintains this rate for the remainder of her journey. The bicyclist does not achieve a constant speed until she has been pedaling for 10 minutes. The bike is geared with a 2:1 ratio, meaning that the rear wheel of the bike turns one revolution for every two revolutions of the pedals. How far does the bike travel during a 30-minute duration?

i just need to know how to go about solving the problem and if you could include your answer that would help too.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you given the radius of the wheel or the pedals? I don't see how you could come up with a numerical solution without it.

As for the problem, I'd break it up into 2 parts. The first 10 minutes is a constant acceleration problem, while the last 20 minutes is a constant speed problem. You can solve for the speed at ten minutes using the radius of the bike wheel. Use that distance to find the distance traveled in the first 10 minutes and the distance traveled in the next 20 minutes. The total distance traveled will be the sum of these 2 distances.

your supposed to assume the radius of the bike wheel. i was going to just make it 1 meter to make it easy.

So you're assuming a 2m diameter wheel http://bikekulture.com/cgi-bin/show.cgi?itemlist=&search=Calendars&start=26 . I suppose the low gearing would fit in with this. A typical bicycle wheel diameter would be 700 mm, and I would take 2:1 gearing to mean the wheel went round twice for every revolution of the pedals - that's more typical.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Solve for Distance: Bicyclist's 30-Min Journey

1. How do you calculate distance for a 30-minute bicycle journey?

To calculate distance, you need to know the speed of the bicyclist and the time it took them to complete the journey. The formula for distance is distance = speed x time. In this case, if the bicyclist traveled at a constant speed for 30 minutes, you would simply multiply the speed by 30 to get the distance traveled.

2. What units should be used for distance when solving for a bicyclist's 30-minute journey?

The most commonly used units for distance are kilometers (km) or miles (mi). However, it is important to use consistent units throughout the calculation. For example, if the speed is given in kilometers per hour (km/h), the distance should be calculated in kilometers as well.

3. Can you solve for distance if the speed of the bicyclist changes during the journey?

Yes, you can still solve for distance if the speed changes, but the calculation will be more complex. In this case, you would need to use the average speed, which is the total distance divided by the total time. You would also need to break the journey into smaller segments and calculate the distance for each segment separately.

4. What other factors should be considered when solving for distance for a bicyclist's 30-minute journey?

In addition to speed and time, you should also take into account any breaks or stops the bicyclist made during the journey. If the bicyclist stopped for a few minutes, the total time would be longer and the distance would need to be adjusted accordingly.

5. Can this formula be applied to other forms of transportation, such as running or driving?

Yes, the formula for distance = speed x time can be applied to other forms of transportation as well. However, the speed and time values would need to be adjusted accordingly based on the mode of transportation. For example, if you were calculating the distance for a 30-minute car journey, the speed would likely be much higher than for a 30-minute bicycle journey.