Solve Free-Fall Problem: A Ball Dropped from Rest

• Thread starter ny_batteri4536
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Free-fall
In summary: The equation states that the motion of a body is described by a set of equations in which the position of the body at any instant is given by a coordinate system located at a particular time. The time variable is measured in seconds, and the velocity is measured in meters per second. In this problem, the time variable is t, and the velocity is v.To find the height at which the ball was dropped, use the expression for the height in terms of time and velocity. In summary, the ball was dropped from a height of h=15.48 m in t=0.5 s.
ny_batteri4536
I've spent about an hour and a half on this question, working with different formulas and manipulating equations but I still can't figure it out. The question:

"A ball, dropped from rest, covers three-quarters of the distance to the ground in the last second of its fall. From what height was the ball dropped, and what was the total time of the fall?"

I would type here what I have figured out, but really it seems like I have gotten nowhere. I think I've come close, though.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you tell us what your thinking is on the problem and give some indication of what you have tried.

ny_batteri4536 said:
I've spent about an hour and a half on this question, working with different formulas and manipulating equations but I still can't figure it out. The question:

"A ball, dropped from rest, covers three-quarters of the distance to the ground in the last second of its fall. From what height was the ball dropped, and what was the total time of the fall?"

I would type here what I have figured out, but really it seems like I have gotten nowhere. I think I've come close, though.

Work out the expression for total height in terms of total time.

Then work out how much distance is fallen in t-1. That will give you another expression for h. Can you take it from there?

AM

Last edited:
Convert what you said into an equatiom, think about distance=rate*time, and you will need to use that from free-fall the velocity of the ball at any time t is v=at, where a=9.8 m/s^2.

Wishbone said:
Convert what you said into an equatiom, think about distance=rate*time, and you will need to use that from free-fall the velocity of the ball at any time t is v=at, where a=9.8 m/s^2.

It is not nesscary to find the velocity at any point during the free fall. The problem can be solved with the application of a single kinematic equation.

Last edited:

Related to Solve Free-Fall Problem: A Ball Dropped from Rest

1. What is free fall?

Free fall is a type of motion where an object is falling under the sole influence of gravity. This means that the object is not experiencing any other forces, such as air resistance or friction.

2. How do you solve a free-fall problem?

To solve a free-fall problem, you need to use the equation d = 1/2gt^2, where d is the distance traveled, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time the object has been falling. You also need to consider the initial velocity of the object, which is usually zero for objects dropped from rest.

3. Can you use the same equation for all free-fall problems?

Yes, you can use the same equation, d = 1/2gt^2, for all free-fall problems as long as the object is not experiencing any other forces besides gravity. This equation is a special case of the more general equation for displacement, d = v0t + 1/2at^2, where v0 is the initial velocity and a is the acceleration. When v0 is zero, this equation simplifies to d = 1/2at^2.

4. How does air resistance affect free fall?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect free fall by slowing down the object's descent. This force increases as the speed of the object increases. In some cases, the force of air resistance can equal or exceed the force of gravity, causing the object to reach a terminal velocity where it no longer accelerates.

5. What is the difference between free fall and constant acceleration?

Free fall is a type of motion where an object is falling under the sole influence of gravity. Constant acceleration, on the other hand, refers to any motion where the acceleration remains constant. While free fall is a type of motion with constant acceleration, not all constant acceleration problems involve free fall. For example, an object rolling down an incline will experience constant acceleration due to the slope, but this is not considered free fall.