Solve General Equation: ODE Project

In summary, the student is requesting help with an Ordinary Differential Equations assignment. They ask for help with part of the problem and state that they will post the second part later. They state that they know this is a long post, but they will truly appreciate help. They list five cases where the solution to the general equation would be different. They list four cases where the constraints in the equation would be different. They solve the first three cases using the Bernoulli method and state that the fourth case can be solved using the simpler method of integrating dv/dt. They then state that they have solved the equation for the case where gamma is not equal to one. They state that they are confused about the question and ask
trajan22
Im sorry, I posted this in the wrong section, feel free to move it to the homework section.

Hey guys, I've really been needing some help with this one. I am doing an assignment for Ordinary Differential Equations and I was hoping someone could help me out by looking over my work. I've been working on this assignment for a couple of weeks now and finally decided that I just needed help.
There is a second part of this problem, but Ill post that later depending on whether or not this part is correct.
Anyway, I know this is a really long post but I will truly appreciate the help of anyone that's willing to go through it all.
Basically I just need to solve the general equation below for different values of gamma and lambda.
Thanks

[tex]
General Equation
[/tex]
[tex]
\frac {dm}{dt}=-\alpha m^{\gamma}-\lambda m
[/tex]

[tex]
\lambda = constant[/tex]

[tex]
Case (1)
[/tex]

[tex] \gamma=1[/tex]

1a.) [tex]\frac{dm}{dt}=-\alpha(m)-\lambda(m) [/tex]

2a.) [tex]\frac{dm}{dt}=-m(\alpha+\lambda) [/tex]

3a.) [tex]\int \frac{1}{m}dm=\int (\alpha+\lambda)dt[/tex]

4a.) [tex]\ln(m)=-(\alpha+\lambda)t+C[/tex]

5a.) [tex]m=e^{-(\alpha+\lambda)t+C}[/tex]

[tex]Case (2) [/tex]

constraints

[tex]\gamma cannot =0[/tex] [tex]\lambda=0[/tex]

Simplifying the general equation I get

1b.) [tex]\frac{dm}{dt}= -\alpha (m)^\gamma[/tex]

2b.) [tex]\int \frac{1}{m^\gamma}dm=-\int \alpha dt[/tex]

3b.) [tex]\frac{m^{(-\gamma + 1)}}{-\gamma+1}=-\alpha (t)+C[/tex]

4b.) [tex]m=[(-\alpha (t)+C)(-\gamma+1)]^{1/(-\gamma+1)} [/tex]

[tex]Case (3) [/tex]

Constraints

[tex]\gamma not=1 \lambda not =0[/tex]1c.) [tex]\frac{dm}{dt}=-\alpha (m^{\gamma)}-\lambda (m) [/tex]

I then solved this using the Bernoulli method

2c.) [tex]v\equiv m^{(1-\gamma)} for \gamma cannot =1[/tex]

3c.) [tex]\frac{dv}{dt}=(1-\gamma)m^{(-\gamma)} \frac{dm}{dt}[/tex]

4c.) [tex]\frac{dm}{dt}+\lambda (m) =-\alpha (m^{\gamma)} [/tex]

5c.) [tex]m^{(-\gamma)}\frac{dm}{dt}=-\alpha-\lambda m^{(1-\gamma)} [/tex]

6c.) [tex]m^{(-\gamma)} \frac{dm}{dt}=-\alpha-\lambda (v) [/tex]

Substituting dv/dt into the equation I get

7c.) [tex]\frac{dv}{dt}=(1-\gamma) m^{-\gamma} m^{\gamma}(-\alpha-\lambda v) [/tex]

8c.) [tex]\frac{dv}{dt}=(1-\gamma)(-\alpha-\lambda v) [/tex]

9c.) [tex]\frac{dv}{dt}+(1-\gamma)(\lambda)(v)= -(1-\gamma)\alpha [/tex]

This is a linear first order homogeneous equation and can be solved by making

10c.) [tex]\mu=e^{\int(1-\gamma)\lambda dt} =e^{(1-\gamma)\lambda(t)} [/tex]

using this as my integrating factor I get this

11c.) [tex]v=\frac{1}{e^{(1-\gamma(t)}}\int e^{(1-\gamma)t} (1-\gamma) (-\alpha)dt[/tex]

this yields

12c.) [tex]v=-\alpha +\frac{C}{e^{((1-\gamma)t)}} [/tex]

substituting for v we get

13c.) [tex]m=(-\alpha+ \frac{C}{e^{((1-\gamma)t))}}^{(\frac{1}{1-\gamma})}

[/tex]

Am I doing anything wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't seem to be doing anything wrong. Another approach to the last case could be to take [tex]\alpha m^{\gamma -1}+\lambda =u[/tex]
This gives [tex]\alpha (\gamma -1) \frac{m^{\gamma -1}}{m}dm=du[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dm}{m}=\frac{dt}{\alpha m^{\gamma -1}{\gamma -1}}[/tex]

Substituting this in equation 1c. you get [tex]\frac{du}{(\gamma -1)u-\lambda}=-dt[/tex]

Integrating this, you get [tex] ln(\alpha m^{\gamma -1})=-(\gamma -1)t +C[/tex].
Isolating m, I suspect you would get the same answer, but this method is a lot simpler...

Thanks for looking it over. Your right that is a much easier method.
But in the second part of the question it states "show that when [tex] \gamma \geq 1 [/tex] then the source must have an infinite lifetime.

The way I took this is that if it is to have an infinite life then the [tex] \lim _{t \rightarrow \infty}m=\infty [/tex]
However when I actually do this I get that the source approaches zero.
Am I simply misunderstanding the question?

1. How do you solve a general equation in an ODE project?

To solve a general equation in an ODE (Ordinary Differential Equation) project, you need to follow the standard method of finding the general solution. This involves separating the variables, integrating both sides, and then solving for the constant of integration. In some cases, you may also need to use specific techniques such as substitution or variation of parameters.

2. What is the difference between a general solution and a particular solution?

A general solution is an equation that contains an arbitrary constant and can be used to represent all possible solutions to an ODE. On the other hand, a particular solution is a specific solution that is obtained by substituting specific values for the arbitrary constant in the general solution. A particular solution satisfies all the given initial conditions, while the general solution represents a family of solutions.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve a general equation in an ODE project?

While you can use a calculator to perform the necessary mathematical operations, it is not recommended to rely solely on a calculator for solving general equations in an ODE project. It is important to understand the underlying concepts and methods to ensure accuracy and interpret the results correctly.

4. What are initial conditions and why are they important in solving ODEs?

Initial conditions are the given values of the dependent variable and its derivatives at a specific point in the independent variable. They are important because they help determine the particular solution that satisfies the given ODE. They act as the starting point for finding the solution and can greatly affect the behavior of the solution.

5. Is there a specific method for solving linear and non-linear ODEs?

Yes, there are specific methods for solving linear and non-linear ODEs. For linear ODEs, the methods include separation of variables, integrating factors, and variation of parameters. For non-linear ODEs, the methods include substitution, power series, and numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta method. The choice of method depends on the form of the ODE and the initial conditions given.