Solve Ideal Diode Circuit - Find V & I

In summary, the conversation discusses an ideal diode homework problem and how to find V and I. The solution is given as 4 mA and 1V, but the individual is unsure why. They mention setting all the diodes to be reversed-bias, but this is incorrect as the voltage at the node needs to be 1V. The other individual suggests gradually increasing the supplied voltage to understand the current in the diodes. Eventually, the person figures out the solution themselves.
francisg3
Hello,
I have been given a homework problem about ideal diodes. The diagram is below. I need to find V and I. I have the solution (4 mA and 1V) however I am unsure as to why it is so.

I would have set 5V at the node where the resistor and 3V diode meet therefore setting all the diodes to be reversed-bias. This is obviously wrong as the voltage at that node needs to be 1V to satisy the V and I answers.

Thank you.

Attachments

• diode.jpg
    diode.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 426
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, one of the diodes will conduct before the others and then they never get enough voltage to conduct.

It may help to consider what would happen if you gradually increased the supplied voltage from zero to 5 volts. What would happen to the current in the diodes?

Thank you, I figured it out!

Related to Solve Ideal Diode Circuit - Find V & I

1. What is an ideal diode circuit?

An ideal diode circuit is a theoretical circuit that uses a diode to control the flow of current in a circuit. It is assumed that the diode has zero voltage drop when conducting current and infinite resistance when blocking current.

2. How do you solve an ideal diode circuit?

To solve an ideal diode circuit, you will need to use Kirchhoff's voltage law and Ohm's law to determine the voltage and current in the circuit. You will also need to consider the ideal diode behavior, such as its zero voltage drop and infinite resistance.

3. What is the difference between an ideal diode and a real diode?

An ideal diode is a theoretical concept that assumes perfect behavior, while a real diode has some limitations and imperfections. For example, a real diode will have a small voltage drop when conducting current and a finite resistance when blocking current.

4. How do you find the voltage and current in an ideal diode circuit?

To find the voltage and current in an ideal diode circuit, you will need to use Kirchhoff's voltage law and Ohm's law to solve for the unknown variables. You will also need to consider the ideal diode behavior, such as its zero voltage drop and infinite resistance.

5. What are some applications of ideal diode circuits?

Ideal diode circuits have many applications in electronics, such as rectifiers, voltage regulators, and signal processing. They are also commonly used in power supplies, battery charging circuits, and AC to DC converters.