Solve Integral of 2x/(1-x^4) dx with lxl<1

  • Thread starter Thread starter kira137
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
kira137
Messages
16
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Evaluate the following:

Integral of 2x/(1-x^4) dx with lxl<1


The Attempt at a Solution



I tried to use long division to solve the question, then got:

2x/(1-x^4) = (2x^5)/(1-x^4) + 2x

S (2x^5)/(1-x^4) + 2x dx

this is where I seem to be stuck on..
do I use chain rule of letting u = (1-x^4)?

thank you in advance
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Try letting u = x2 and then substitute in the original integrand.
 
You can also try using the following identity:

[tex]\frac{2x}{1-x^4}=\frac{1}{2\left(1-x\right)}-\frac{1}{2\left(1+x\right)}+\frac{x}{\left(1+x^2\right)}[/tex]
 
kira137 said:
I tried to use long division to solve the question, then got:
2x/(1-x^4) = (2x^5)/(1-x^4) + 2x
This doesn't make any sense at all. I have no idea how you ended up with that result.
 
It's called "partial fractions". If you are expected to do this kind of problem, you should have already seen that. [itex]1- x^4= (1- x^2)(1+ x^2)= (1- x)(1+ x)(1+ x^2) so the fraction can be written <br /> [tex]\frac{2x}{1- x^4}= \frac{A}{1- x}+ \frac{B}{1+ x}+ \frac{Dx+ C}{1+ x^2}[/tex]<br /> There are a number of different wasy of determing the values of A, B, C, and D from that. For example, if you multiply both sides of the equation by [itex]1- x^4[/itex] you get a polynomial equation that must be true for all x. Setting corresponding coefficients equal will give you four equations for A, B, D, and D. More simply, taking x= 1, -1, 0, and, say, 2 will give you four equations.<br /> <br /> However, Bohrok's suggestion of substituting u= x<sup>2</sup> first is simpler. Once you have it reduced to <br /> [tex]\int \frac{du}{1- u^2}[/tex]<br /> you can use "partial fractions" to write it as <br /> [tex]\int \frac{Adu}{1- u}+ \int \frac{Bdu}{1+ u}[/tex][/itex]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Or, if you've covered the hyperbolic functions and to make the answer neater, you could use tanh-1u in getting your answer.
 
Thank all of you for your help.
I haven't learned partial fractions yet so I tried Bohrok's way by letting x^2 = u
This is what I got for answer:

arctan(-x^2) is it right?

I had trouble with solving 1/(1-u^2).. so i just did integral to tan, am I allowed to?
 
That's close. ∫1/(1-u2) du = tanh-1u + C
Then put the integral back in terms of x.