Solve Integrals Involving Tangent and Secant with This One Trick - Comments

In summary, stevendaryl shared a PF Insights post about solving integrals involving tangent and secant using a unique trick. This trick involves multiplying the numerator and denominator by sec x + tan x. However, an alternative method using partial fractions was also mentioned, originally discovered by Barrow. Another alternative method involves using a standard substitution with u = tan (x/2) and solving for the integral using logarithms. Overall, this insight was well received by readers.
stevendaryl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
stevendaryl submitted a new PF Insights post

Solve Integrals Involving Tangent and Secant with This One Weird Trick
integraltrick.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Likes HAYAO, Buzz Bloom, QuantumQuest and 5 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Fascinating!

The most commonly given proof in high school for integrating sec x is multiplying the numerator and denominator by sec x + tan x. To me it seemed like a highly unintuitive step. Integrating sec x by using partial fractions - a longer but more intuitive proof, originally discovered by Barrow is the one I prefer.

This is pretty cool too. Thanks for the insight!

I'd like to give this Insight 5 stars, but it just doesn't let me, because I'm not logged in for some reason when clicking at this specific Insight article. Anyway, it's a great trick, I hope to remember when I need it.

Likes Mastermind01
Finally I could give you your 5 stars! :-).

An alternative way to integrate ##\sec x## is to use the standard subsitution
$$u=\tan \left (\frac{x}{2} \right), \quad \mathrm{d} x=\mathrm{d} u \frac{1}{1+u^2}.$$
The integrand is
$$\sec x= \frac{1}{\cos x}=\frac{1}{2 \cos^2 (x/2)-1}=\frac{1-u^2}{1+u^2}.$$
Thus you get
$$\int \mathrm{d} x \sec x= \int \mathrm{d} u \frac{2}{1-u^2} = \int \mathrm{d} u \left (\frac{1}{u+1}-\frac{1}{u-1} \right) = \ln \left |\frac{u+1}{u-1} \right|+C$$
or finaly resubstituting
$$\int \mathrm{d} x \sec x=\ln \left |\frac{\tan(x/2)+1}{\tan(x/2)-1} \right|+C.$$

Likes Mastermind01
@vanhees71 Awesome, I hadn't seen this one.

I still can't give five stars though.:sorry:

Thanks, useful for my calculus teaching! :)

1. How can I use this one trick to solve integrals involving tangent and secant?

This one trick involves using the substitution method to convert the integral into a more manageable form. First, let u be equal to the tangent of x, then rewrite the integral in terms of u. Next, use the trigonometric identity for secant squared to simplify the integral even further. Finally, integrate and substitute back in for u to get the final answer.

2. Can this one trick be used for all integrals involving tangent and secant?

No, this trick is most useful for integrals involving a combination of tangent and secant. It may not work for integrals that only involve one of these trigonometric functions.

3. Are there any limitations to using this one trick?

Yes, this trick may not work for more complex integrals involving tangent and secant, or for integrals with other trigonometric functions.

4. How can I check if I have solved the integral correctly using this one trick?

You can always double-check your answer by differentiating it and seeing if it matches the original integrand. You can also use an online integral calculator to verify your solution.

5. Is this one trick a shortcut or a valid method for solving integrals?

This one trick is a valid method for solving integrals involving tangent and secant. It is a useful tool to simplify the integration process, but it is not necessarily a shortcut as it still requires knowledge of trigonometric identities and integration techniques.