1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve partial differential equation

1. Jun 7, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve PDE ##\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}-k\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}=0## for ##0\leq x \leq \pi ## and ##t\geq 0##.

Also ##\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}(0,t)=\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}(\pi ,t)=0## and ##u(x,0)=sin(x)##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Differential operator ##L## for ##ku_{xx}=u_t## is symmetrical, therfore ##Lu=ku_{xx}=\lambda u##.

##ku_{xx}=\lambda u##

##ku_{xx}-\lambda u=0## so

##u(x)=Ae^{-\sqrt{\frac{\lambda}{k}}x}+Be^{\sqrt{\frac{\lambda}{k}}x}## and

##u(x)_x=-A\sqrt{\frac{\lambda}{k}} e^{-\sqrt{\frac{\lambda}{k}}x}+B\sqrt{\frac{\lambda}{k}} e^{\sqrt{\frac{\lambda}{k}}x}##

Using ##\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}(0,t)=0## gives me that ##A=B## and the second condition gives me:

##u(\pi )_x=\sqrt{\frac{\lambda}{k}}Ae^{-\sqrt{\frac{\lambda}{k}}\pi }(e^{2\sqrt{\frac{\lambda}{k}}\pi }-1)##

therefore

##2\sqrt{\frac{\lambda}{k}}\pi =2n\pi i## and finally ##\lambda =-n^2k##

So eigenfunctions of differential operator ##L## are :

##u(x)=Ae^{-\sqrt{\frac{\lambda}{k}}x}+Be^{\sqrt{\frac{\lambda}{k}}x}## where we already know that ##A=B## and inserting ##\lambda =-n^2k## leaves me with:

##u_n(x)=A_ncos(nx)##

IF everything so far is ok, than I shall continue:

##ku_{xx}=u_t##

##\sum_{n=0}^{\infty }k\lambda u(x)f(t)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty }u(x){f}'(t)## so

##\frac{{f}'(t)}{f(t)}=\lambda k## and therefore

##f_n(t)=De^{-n^2k^2t}##

So ##U(x,t)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty }u(x)f(t)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty }Acos(nx)e^{-n^2k^2t}##

Know I think I should somehow write that ##sin(x)## in ##u(x,0)=sin(x)## in terms of eigenfunctions of ##L## but something has to be wrong, because:

##<sin(x),cos(nx)>=<\sum_{n=0}^{\infty }A_ncos(nx),cos(kx)>## where the first scalar product is 0, which means what exactly? Where did I get it wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Nothing is wrong. You want $$
    \sin x = A_0 + \sum_{n=1}^\infty A_n \cos(nx)$$You want to extend ##\sin x## to ##(-\pi,0)## as an even function and use the half-range formulas for the ##A_n##.

[Edit, added] Alternatively if you are thinking in terms of inner products, your orthogonal set on ##(0,\pi)## is the set ##\{\cos(nx)\}##. ##\sin(x)## is not orthogonal to them.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted