Solve partial differential equation

In summary: There is a formula for projecting a vector onto a subspace spanned by a set of orthogonal vectors.In summary, the conversation discusses solving a PDE for a given domain and initial conditions using differential operators. The eigenfunctions of the differential operator are found and used to write the solution in terms of a series. The conversation also addresses how to extend a function to a larger domain and how to project a vector onto a subspace spanned by a set of orthogonal vectors.
skrat

Homework Statement

Solve PDE ##\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}-k\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}=0## for ##0\leq x \leq \pi ## and ##t\geq 0##.

Also ##\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}(0,t)=\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}(\pi ,t)=0## and ##u(x,0)=sin(x)##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Differential operator ##L## for ##ku_{xx}=u_t## is symmetrical, therefore ##Lu=ku_{xx}=\lambda u##.

##ku_{xx}=\lambda u##

##ku_{xx}-\lambda u=0## so

##u(x)=Ae^{-\sqrt{\frac{\lambda}{k}}x}+Be^{\sqrt{\frac{\lambda}{k}}x}## and

##u(x)_x=-A\sqrt{\frac{\lambda}{k}} e^{-\sqrt{\frac{\lambda}{k}}x}+B\sqrt{\frac{\lambda}{k}} e^{\sqrt{\frac{\lambda}{k}}x}##

Using ##\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}(0,t)=0## gives me that ##A=B## and the second condition gives me:

##u(\pi )_x=\sqrt{\frac{\lambda}{k}}Ae^{-\sqrt{\frac{\lambda}{k}}\pi }(e^{2\sqrt{\frac{\lambda}{k}}\pi }-1)##

therefore

##2\sqrt{\frac{\lambda}{k}}\pi =2n\pi i## and finally ##\lambda =-n^2k##

So eigenfunctions of differential operator ##L## are :

##u(x)=Ae^{-\sqrt{\frac{\lambda}{k}}x}+Be^{\sqrt{\frac{\lambda}{k}}x}## where we already know that ##A=B## and inserting ##\lambda =-n^2k## leaves me with:

##u_n(x)=A_ncos(nx)##

IF everything so far is ok, than I shall continue:

##ku_{xx}=u_t##

##\sum_{n=0}^{\infty }k\lambda u(x)f(t)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty }u(x){f}'(t)## so

##\frac{{f}'(t)}{f(t)}=\lambda k## and therefore

##f_n(t)=De^{-n^2k^2t}##So ##U(x,t)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty }u(x)f(t)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty }Acos(nx)e^{-n^2k^2t}##

Know I think I should somehow write that ##sin(x)## in ##u(x,0)=sin(x)## in terms of eigenfunctions of ##L## but something has to be wrong, because:

##<sin(x),cos(nx)>=<\sum_{n=0}^{\infty }A_ncos(nx),cos(kx)>## where the first scalar product is 0, which means what exactly? Where did I get it wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
skrat said:

Homework Statement

Solve PDE ##\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}-k\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}=0## for ##0\leq x \leq \pi ## and ##t\geq 0##.

Also ##\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}(0,t)=\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}(\pi ,t)=0## and ##u(x,0)=sin(x)##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Differential operator ##L## for ##ku_{xx}=u_t## is symmetrical, therefore ##Lu=ku_{xx}=\lambda u##.

##ku_{xx}=\lambda u##

##ku_{xx}-\lambda u=0## so

##u(x)=Ae^{-\sqrt{\frac{\lambda}{k}}x}+Be^{\sqrt{\frac{\lambda}{k}}x}## and

##u(x)_x=-A\sqrt{\frac{\lambda}{k}} e^{-\sqrt{\frac{\lambda}{k}}x}+B\sqrt{\frac{\lambda}{k}} e^{\sqrt{\frac{\lambda}{k}}x}##

Using ##\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}(0,t)=0## gives me that ##A=B## and the second condition gives me:

##u(\pi )_x=\sqrt{\frac{\lambda}{k}}Ae^{-\sqrt{\frac{\lambda}{k}}\pi }(e^{2\sqrt{\frac{\lambda}{k}}\pi }-1)##

therefore

##2\sqrt{\frac{\lambda}{k}}\pi =2n\pi i## and finally ##\lambda =-n^2k##

So eigenfunctions of differential operator ##L## are :

##u(x)=Ae^{-\sqrt{\frac{\lambda}{k}}x}+Be^{\sqrt{\frac{\lambda}{k}}x}## where we already know that ##A=B## and inserting ##\lambda =-n^2k## leaves me with:

##u_n(x)=A_ncos(nx)##

IF everything so far is ok, than I shall continue:

##ku_{xx}=u_t##

##\sum_{n=0}^{\infty }k\lambda u(x)f(t)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty }u(x){f}'(t)## so

##\frac{{f}'(t)}{f(t)}=\lambda k## and therefore

##f_n(t)=De^{-n^2k^2t}##So ##U(x,t)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty }u(x)f(t)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty }Acos(nx)e^{-n^2k^2t}##

Know I think I should somehow write that ##sin(x)## in ##u(x,0)=sin(x)## in terms of eigenfunctions of ##L## but something has to be wrong, because:

##<sin(x),cos(nx)>=<\sum_{n=0}^{\infty }A_ncos(nx),cos(kx)>## where the first scalar product is 0, which means what exactly? Where did I get it wrong?

Nothing is wrong. You want $$
\sin x = A_0 + \sum_{n=1}^\infty A_n \cos(nx)$$You want to extend ##\sin x## to ##(-\pi,0)## as an even function and use the half-range formulas for the ##A_n##.

[Edit, added] Alternatively if you are thinking in terms of inner products, your orthogonal set on ##(0,\pi)## is the set ##\{\cos(nx)\}##. ##\sin(x)## is not orthogonal to them.

Last edited:

Related to Solve partial differential equation

1. What is a partial differential equation (PDE)?

A PDE is a mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It is used to model physical phenomena that change continuously over time and space.

2. Why are partial differential equations important in science?

PDEs are used to describe complex systems in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. They allow us to understand and predict the behavior of these systems, leading to advancements in technology and our understanding of the natural world.

3. How do you solve a partial differential equation?

Solving a PDE involves finding a function or set of functions that satisfy the given equation. This can be done analytically using mathematical techniques or numerically using computer algorithms.

4. What are the different types of PDEs?

PDEs can be classified into different types based on their highest order derivatives and the number of independent variables. The main types include elliptic, parabolic, and hyperbolic PDEs.

5. Are there any applications of PDEs in the real world?

Yes, PDEs have numerous applications in various fields such as fluid dynamics, heat transfer, quantum mechanics, and financial modeling. They are also used in image processing, signal analysis, and medical imaging.