Solve Predator-Prey System: Find Constant Solution

• Thread starter stripes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the equation 4lny-.02y+3lnx-.001x=37.37 models the population sizes of wolves and rabbits, with (x,y) = (5000,300) being the initial condition. The origin (0,0) is a critical point representing the extinction of both species. To find the other equilibrium solution, we can set dy/dt and dx/dt to zero and solve for (x,y). This will give us a new value for C, which can then be used to find the constant solution.
stripes

Homework Statement

Scientists studying a population of wolves (y) and a population of rabbits (x) on which the wolves depend for food, have found the sizes x and y of these populations to be modeled well by the equation
4lny-.02y+3lnx-.001x=37.37

We are given the initial condition of (x, y) = (5000, 300).

The origin (0, 0) is a critical point of the system, not a very happy one because it represents the equilibrium solution in which both species are extinct. Find and plot (on a graph given to us on our handout) the other equilibrium (constant) solution.

Homework Equations

NONE

The Attempt at a Solution

See PDF for my solution (sorry if that is an inconvenience).

So basically I set dy/dt and dx/dt to zero to determine the other critical point, since the question mentioned the origin being a critical point for the system.

But at the end it's asking for the other equilibrium (constant) solution. You can separate the equations dy/dt and dx/dt and get 4lny-.02y+3lnx-.001x=C, where this C is presumably the constant that the question is referring to, or at least it seems that way to me.

So is my work helpful for the question at all? Or am I doing something completely different? You can't determine the C in 4lny-.02y+3lnx-.001x=C without having some kind of initial condition. I understand (at least I think) that the equation in the last sentence is the general solution to the Lotka Volterra differential equations in my work. We are given C = 37.37 in our case. So would I just let C = 0 and solve? I can't do anything because we have no initial condition. Let (x,y) = (0,0)? Can't do that either (ln 0 doesn't exist).

I am certain that my work is incomplete and there is more to it. But I don't know what else to do. I DID find dy/dx in an earlier question, so I might think set dy/dx = 0, but it's a rational function and does not have any zeros (ie, both x and y never equal zero), which is clearly a consequence of the original relation itself not allowing zero.

So where do I go from here? I'm just not sure about what the question is actually asking.

Thank you all in advance for your help, much appreciated!

Attachments

• Predator-prey system.pdf
    422.7 KB · Views: 172
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the lack of sleep is getting to me. It is clear to me now that all I need to do is plug in (x,y) = (3000,200). I wasn't sure what an equilibrium solution was, but now I recall it's when the rate of change wrt time is equal to zero. And I did that, found (x,y), and that is my "initial condition" so I can find my new value of C.

Seems right to me but if I'm still not on the right track, let me know.

Related to Solve Predator-Prey System: Find Constant Solution

1. What is a predator-prey system?

A predator-prey system is a biological relationship between two species, where one species (the predator) hunts and feeds on the other species (the prey) as a source of food.

2. Why is it important to solve a predator-prey system?

Solving a predator-prey system can help us understand the dynamics of populations in an ecosystem and predict the effects of environmental changes, such as human interference or climate change, on these populations.

3. What is a constant solution in a predator-prey system?

A constant solution in a predator-prey system is an equilibrium state where the populations of both the predator and prey remain constant over time. This means that the birth and death rates of both species are balanced, resulting in a stable population size.

4. How do you find the constant solution in a predator-prey system?

The constant solution can be found by setting the rates of change for both the predator and prey populations to zero and solving for the values of the populations at equilibrium. This can be done using mathematical models and techniques such as differential equations.

5. What factors can affect the constant solution in a predator-prey system?

The constant solution in a predator-prey system can be affected by factors such as the availability of resources, competition between species, and environmental changes. These factors can cause the birth and death rates of the predator and prey populations to change, leading to a shift in the constant solution.