Solve Step Problem: Potential Homework

• Thread starter tarkin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potential
In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve part (d) and (e) of a question involving the calculation of T. The equation for T is given as T= 4k1k2/(k1+k2)2 and k= ((2m/ћ)2(E-V))½. The person tried substituting k into the equation for T but was unable to cancel out the m's. It is suggested to carefully check the working out as the m's should cancel out.
tarkin

Homework Statement

Please see attached image. I'm trying to do part (d), then (e) afterwards.

For (d) I can sketch the graph okay, just trying to calculate T now.

Homework Equations

T= 4k1k2/(k1+k2)2

k = ((2m/ћ)2(E-V))½

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried substituting in k into the equation for T. But k depends on the mass of the particle, which isn't given in the question. So what can I do here? I guess one option is just finding the point on the graph, but that's not really a calculation.

Attachments

• potentialstep.jpg
    potentialstep.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 411
Physics news on Phys.org
tarkin said:
I tried substituting in k into the equation for T. But k depends on the mass of the particle, which isn't given in the question. So what can I do here?
Look carefully at the equation for T after having substituted the equation for k.

DrClaude said:
Look carefully at the equation for T after having substituted the equation for k.

When I subbed in k I hoped the m's would cancel but I couldn't get them to. Is it just some mistake I'm making - should they indeed cancel?

Thanks

tarkin said:
When I subbed in k I hoped the m's would cancel but I couldn't get them to. Is it just some mistake I'm making - should they indeed cancel?
It should. You have k's squared both at the numerator and the denominator.

DrClaude said:
It should. You have k's squared both at the numerator and the denominator.

Okay, I'll take another look at my working out. Thanks a million!

1. What is the purpose of a "Solve Step Problem" in potential homework?

The purpose of a "Solve Step Problem" in potential homework is to break down a complex problem into smaller, more manageable steps. This allows for a more organized and systematic approach to finding the solution.

2. How do I know which steps to take in a "Solve Step Problem"?

The steps to take in a "Solve Step Problem" will depend on the specific problem and the equations or formulas involved. It is important to carefully read and analyze the problem to determine the necessary steps. It may also be helpful to refer to class notes or textbooks for guidance.

3. Can I skip steps in a "Solve Step Problem" if I already know the solution?

In most cases, it is not recommended to skip steps in a "Solve Step Problem" even if you already know the solution. This is because it helps to ensure that all necessary elements are considered and that the solution is accurate. However, if you are confident in your understanding and the accuracy of your solution, you may skip some steps.

4. How do I check my work in a "Solve Step Problem"?

It is important to check your work in a "Solve Step Problem" to ensure that you have arrived at the correct solution. This can be done by plugging in the values from the problem into your final equation or by working backwards from the solution to the initial problem. Additionally, you can compare your solution to the answer provided in the homework assignment or ask for feedback from a classmate or teacher.

5. Is there a specific format for presenting a "Solve Step Problem" solution?

There is no one specific format for presenting a "Solve Step Problem" solution, but it is important to clearly label and organize each step and to show all necessary calculations and equations. Some common methods for presenting a solution include using bullet points, tables, or numbered steps. It is also important to include units and proper notation in your solution.