Solve the Daring 510-N Swimmer's Minimum Speed Physics Problem"

In summary, the conversation discusses the minimum speed needed for a 510-N swimmer to successfully dive off a cliff and miss the ledge at the bottom. The time can be found using the equation y=y_0+v_0t+.5at^2 and the equations for vertical and horizontal distance can be written using trigonometric functions. The mass of the diver is not considered to be a factor in this problem. After finding the time, it is a matter of solving the equations using algebra.
smadina4
A daring 510-N swimmer dives off a cliff with a running horizontal leap. What must her minimum speed be just as she leaves the top of the cliff so that she will miss the ledge at the bottom, which is 1.75 m wide and 9.00 m below the top of the cliff?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can find the time by using y=y_0+v_0t+.5at^2. That should get you started...

Consider her to be a projectile who is launching at 0 degrees to the horizontal and at a height of 9 metres. i don't think, ( and i jus looked at the problem offhandedly) that the mass of the diver comes into play.
now write equations for the vertical height and the horizontal. Msg me or post if u get stuck...after this, its just simple algebra.

RELATED EQUATIONS:

[tex] y = u \sin \theta - \frac{1}{2} g t^2 [/tex]

[tex] x = u \cos \theta t [/tex]

smooth sid. msg me or post me...

Related to Solve the Daring 510-N Swimmer's Minimum Speed Physics Problem"

1. What is the minimum speed physics problem?

The minimum speed physics problem is a type of physics problem that involves finding the minimum speed required for an object to complete a given task, such as reaching a specific distance or overcoming a specific force. It often involves calculating the required minimum kinetic energy of the object.

2. How is the minimum speed calculated in a physics problem?

The minimum speed is calculated using the equation: v = √(2E/m), where v is the minimum speed, E is the minimum kinetic energy required, and m is the mass of the object. This equation is derived from the conservation of energy principle.

3. What factors affect the minimum speed in a physics problem?

The minimum speed in a physics problem is affected by factors such as the mass of the object, the distance it needs to travel, and the forces acting upon it. These factors determine the minimum kinetic energy required for the object to complete the task.

4. How does the minimum speed physics problem relate to real-life situations?

The minimum speed physics problem is often used in real-life situations to determine the minimum amount of energy or force required for an object to perform a specific task. For example, it can be used to calculate the minimum speed needed for a rocket to escape Earth's gravitational pull.

5. What are some tips for solving a minimum speed physics problem?

Some tips for solving a minimum speed physics problem include clearly defining the given variables, using the appropriate equations, and double-checking your calculations. It can also be helpful to draw a diagram or visualize the problem to better understand the concept.