Solve the Initial Value Problem

In summary, the attempted solution for the homework problem was unable to find the integrating factor and was not able to solve the equation using the method of lineintegral1.
TheSpaceGuy

Homework Statement

y' = (2x) / (y+(x^2)y) y(0) = -2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried doing this by finding the Integrating factor and I got that to be u = -1-x^2 by using the
(My - Nx) / N formula. Using this did not work out for me and I'm not seeing the other approach. Please help me out. As always, I greatly appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation is separable. If I understand your post, you have,

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{2x}{y+yx^2}[/tex]

Therefore,

[tex]dy(y+yx^2)=2xdx[/tex]

Factoring, anyone?

Wow that does make it a lot easier. I was practicing using the Integrating factor approach so I didn't even try seeing it that way, my bad. So is there a way to get an Integrating factor for this problem by making it: (2x)dx - (y + (x^2)y)dx = 0 ?

Sure, if it is not exact, then you should follow the procedure for calculating the integrating factor for non-exact equations.. If it is exact (which it isn't), then you would simply find the potential function. If you need assistance in the integrating factor procedure, let me know.

This is great practice though. You should be able to solve many of these equations using all of the methods you have learned up until this point. Hopefully, all of your answers will be the same.

Use:

[tex]
\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{2x}{y+yx^2}\Rightarrow y\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{2x}{1+x^{2}}
[/tex]

Integrate w.r.t. x

Thanks for the assist hunt_mat. And lineintegral1, I had a general question about finding the integrating factor for the non-exact equations. I know how to find the integrating factor when it will be dependent on x : du/dx = My - Nx / N * u where u is the integrating factor. But what about when its dependent on y? Is it as simple as just writing dy instead of dx?

Not too sure what you're saying, the integrating factor method can only be applied to equations of te form:

[tex]
\frac{dy}{dx}+P(x)y=Q(x)
[/tex]

If it's anything else from that tthen you require another method. Perhaps you would like to give us an example of the sort of thing you were thinking about.

hunt_mat said:
Not too sure what you're saying, the integrating factor method can only be applied to equations of te form:

[tex]
\frac{dy}{dx}+P(x)y=Q(x)
[/tex]

If it's anything else from that tthen you require another method. Perhaps you would like to give us an example of the sort of thing you were thinking about.

Yep. The form of the equation is important - different forms require different methods. As mentioned above this is easily separable and then you simply integrate both sides.

I know.

I was referring to finding the integrating factor of Exact equations. With the form:
(M)dx + (N)dy = 0 and then to find the integrating factor you do
du / dx = (My - Mx) / N * u where u is the integrating factor and when I write My I mean M derived with respect to y. An example would be a problem like:
(3xy+y^2) + (x^2 +xy)y' = 0. This problem has a integrating factor of u = x. I wanted to know what if a problem had the integrating factor u = y? Would I use the same procedure to get it? Thanks.

Okay I just looked it up in my book and there is a procedure to do that.
If (Nx-My) / M = Q where Q is a function of y only then the integrating factor of the equation is u(y) = exp (int) Q(y) dy

1. What is an Initial Value Problem?

An Initial Value Problem is a type of differential equation where the solution is determined by specifying the initial conditions of the system. These initial conditions include the value of the dependent variable and its derivative at a specific point in time or space.

2. How do you solve an Initial Value Problem?

To solve an Initial Value Problem, you must first find the general solution to the differential equation. Then, plug in the initial conditions to determine the specific solution that satisfies the given conditions. This can be done analytically or numerically using various methods such as separation of variables, Euler's method, or Runge-Kutta methods.

3. What is the importance of solving an Initial Value Problem?

Solving an Initial Value Problem allows us to model and understand real-world phenomena that involve change over time or space. It is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology to predict and analyze the behavior of systems.

4. What are some common applications of Initial Value Problems?

Initial Value Problems have a wide range of applications including modeling population growth, predicting weather patterns, simulating chemical reactions, and analyzing electrical circuits. They are also commonly used in the fields of mechanics, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics.

5. What are some challenges in solving Initial Value Problems?

Some challenges in solving Initial Value Problems include finding the general solution to the differential equation, dealing with complex initial conditions, and determining the appropriate numerical method to use for solving the problem. Additionally, some systems may have chaotic behavior and thus may be difficult to accurately model and predict.