Solving an Equation: Expert Tips and Tricks for Beginners

• Thread starter Gringo123
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving a complex equation involving fractions. The solution involves finding a common denominator and using cross multiplication to simplify the equation. The participants also discuss the concept of least common multiple and how it applies to solving equations with fractions.
Gringo123
I'm not sure how to approach this type of equation. Can anyone help me out?

Solve the equation:

n/n+3 + 7/n+4 = 1

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to get rid of the denominators first, then collect terms.

I'm still stuck I'm afraid. Getting rid of the denominators is easy is thety are the same but as these are different I need help with the method.

You can bring them under the same denominator by cross multiplying. Hint: what method would you use to add 1/3+1/4 together?

Last edited:
I would convert them both to a common demoninator, namely 12, so they would be easier to add: 4/12 + 3/12 = 7/12

Exactly, now apply the same procedure to the two fractions in your equation.

Does that mean that the next stage is to multiply the top and bottom of n/n+3 by 4, (giving 4n/n + 12) and the top and bottom of 7/n+4 by 3 (giving 21/n + 12)? We can then multiply both fractions by n + 12 leaving us with 4n + 21 = 1?
Am I on the right track?

No, we're not dealing with 1/3 and 1/4 in your equation. Post #5 was just an example. However you must use the same method. Perhaps it is instructive if you tell me exactly how you converted 1/3+ 1/4 into 7/12 (step by step). Then copy that method for denominators n+3 and n+4 instead of 3 and 4.

the LCM of 3 and 4 is 12, so 1/3 and 1/4 can both be expressed as twelfths, namely 4/12 and 3/12.
n+3 + n+4 = 2n + 7. Is that the common denominator I should be using?
maybe 7 + n / 2n + 7?

Where does n+3+n+4 come from? You don't claim that the common denominator for 1/4+1/3 is 3+4 so why would it be for the exercise at hand. The objective is to find a common denominator so you can add the two fractions together. For numbers you're doing it correctly, however n is just a number therefore n+3 is just a number and n+4 is just a number. The rules of mathematics don't suddenly change when you pick another number.

Perhaps an intermediate step. let's define a=n+3 and b=n+4. Can you add 1/a+1/b together in terms of a and b?

Gringo, the least common MULTIPLE of two numbers is a PRODUCT.
Since "n + 3" and "n + 4" are relatively prime, we must multiply them together to get their LCM. This is analogous to LCM(3,4) = 12 (NOT SEVEN!)

If you multiply the entire equation by the LCM/LCD, there will be no more fractions.
(But there will be a quadratic equation to solve...)

Related to Solving an Equation: Expert Tips and Tricks for Beginners

1. What is the basic process for solving an equation?

The basic process for solving an equation involves isolating the variable on one side of the equal sign and simplifying the other side using various arithmetic operations until the variable is left with a single value.

2. How do I know which operation to use when simplifying an equation?

The operation used to simplify an equation depends on the mathematical operations present in the equation. For example, if there is addition, you can use subtraction to cancel it out. Similarly, if there is multiplication, you can use division to cancel it out. It is important to maintain balance on both sides of the equation.

3. What is the order of operations in solving an equation?

The order of operations in solving an equation is the same as in regular arithmetic: parentheses, exponents, multiplication and division (from left to right), and addition and subtraction (from left to right).

4. How do I check if my solution is correct?

To check if your solution is correct, plug the value you obtained for the variable back into the original equation and see if it makes the equation true. If it does, then your solution is correct.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving an equation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving an equation include not distributing correctly, not following the order of operations, and forgetting to perform the same operation on both sides of the equation. It is also important to double check your work and be careful with signs and decimal points.