1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve this equation

1. May 11, 2010 #1
    I'm not sure how to approach this type of equation. Can anyone help me out?

Solve the equation:

n/n+3 + 7/n+4 = 1

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2010 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

You want to get rid of the denominators first, then collect terms.

4. May 11, 2010 #3
    I'm still stuck I'm afraid. Getting rid of the denominators is easy is thety are the same but as these are different I need help with the method.

5. May 11, 2010 #4

Cyosis

Homework Helper

You can bring them under the same denominator by cross multiplying. Hint: what method would you use to add 1/3+1/4 together?

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  6. May 11, 2010 #5
    I would convert them both to a common demoninator, namely 12, so they would be easier to add: 4/12 + 3/12 = 7/12

7. May 11, 2010 #6

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Exactly, now apply the same procedure to the two fractions in your equation.

8. May 11, 2010 #7
    Does that mean that the next stage is to multiply the top and bottom of n/n+3 by 4, (giving 4n/n + 12) and the top and bottom of 7/n+4 by 3 (giving 21/n + 12)? We can then multiply both fractions by n + 12 leaving us with 4n + 21 = 1?
    Am I on the right track?

9. May 11, 2010 #8

Cyosis

Homework Helper

No, we're not dealing with 1/3 and 1/4 in your equation. Post #5 was just an example. However you must use the same method. Perhaps it is instructive if you tell me exactly how you converted 1/3+ 1/4 into 7/12 (step by step). Then copy that method for denominators n+3 and n+4 instead of 3 and 4.

10. May 11, 2010 #9
    the LCM of 3 and 4 is 12, so 1/3 and 1/4 can both be expressed as twelfths, namely 4/12 and 3/12.
    n+3 + n+4 = 2n + 7. Is that the common denominator I should be using?
    maybe 7 + n / 2n + 7?

11. May 11, 2010 #10

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Where does n+3+n+4 come from? You don't claim that the common denominator for 1/4+1/3 is 3+4 so why would it be for the exercise at hand. The objective is to find a common denominator so you can add the two fractions together. For numbers you're doing it correctly, however n is just a number therefore n+3 is just a number and n+4 is just a number. The rules of mathematics don't suddenly change when you pick another number.

Perhaps an intermediate step. lets define a=n+3 and b=n+4. Can you add 1/a+1/b together in terms of a and b?

12. May 11, 2010 #11
    Gringo, the least common MULTIPLE of two numbers is a PRODUCT.
    Since "n + 3" and "n + 4" are relatively prime, we must multiply them together to get their LCM. This is analogous to LCM(3,4) = 12 (NOT SEVEN!!!)

If you multiply the entire equation by the LCM/LCD, there will be no more fractions.
    (But there will be a quadratic equation to solve...)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook